1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dance - any jobs/ schools still investing in it?

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by kcarnie, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Thank you for your reply, gives me a bit of hope.
    Well its a national challenge school and before I came the dance teachers grades were the lowest of the school so the national challenge advisor have wanted it out for a while. This was a shame as I have brought the grades up to 100% pass rate but seems too little too late. The school needed to get rid of 12 members of staff and I was only on a years contract (started off as maternity cover) so I was one of them.
    I am emailing a lot of schools, in my area not so many actually do dance. The trouble is with freelance is getting enough work to earn enough. Thought I would try the private schools as have heard from a couple of people the 'good' schools are investing in extra-curricular subjects.
    Sounds like you've got the perfect dance department! I just want to get stuck into a school where I am given a bit of time to do it.

2. Oh dear it sounds like your school are just using any excuse to cut staff and unfortunately you are caught in the cross fire. I would just hold out for another maternity cover to come up. But do keep trying with the freelance work. Two of my friends have worked for years in this area and have never struggled for work. I would also (just for extra cash) jump on the Zumba bandwagon and start offering that to schools as maybe an after school staff fitness class.
    Yes I am very lucky with my dept, you will get there one day! x