1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Damned Flies

Discussion in 'Personal' started by neddyfonk, Jul 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

How do you get rid of yours?
    These sunny days seems to provoke them to dastardly levels of annoyance.
    Bored at work three of us would fire laggy bands at them. I got to be a crack shot at 4ft with a thick 4 inch brown weapon. Neutradol disables them so you can swat them easier but my weapon of mass destruction is an industrial spray of cheap disinfectant. Once they are wet they stagger around for a while before giving up the ghost.
    Any more ideas about how to destroy these cheeky little beggars ?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I must admit they seem to be worse than in prevous years. we have several 'fly swats' but they rarely land anywhere flat enough where one can 'swat' them.:rolleyes: :(

3. Caoimhseach

Caoimhseach Lead commenter

Hairspray is entertaining

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Squash racquet is perfect for taking them out in flight.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Heavy topspin - always works a treat,

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

A plague of flies I can cope with.

It is the frogs, locusts, boils and deaths of first-borns which really irritate me.

7. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

8. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

That's what you'll get with Brexit! (Mind you I never understood what is wrong with frogs? I like frogs.)

nomad likes this.
  9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

They interrupt cycle races.

nomad likes this.
  10. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

I bought a few bug zappers but never tried them on flies. The electronics are great high voltage supplies for making tesla coils.

11. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

We have one one of those 'light attraction plug in things. .

Doesn't appear to work on mosquitoes or flies :rolleyes:

colpee likes this.
  12. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I've installed one of these...

[​IMG]

across the back door. Quite an expensive but heavy one (stops the wind blowing it about) .

Works a treat.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Pricey, but death without squishing, and oh I do want one:oops:

14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Buy a water pistol and put salty water in it.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  15. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

Be thankful that we here in the UK don't have the Asian tiger mosquitoes that they have in many countries now. I went for a holiday to Italy and was nearly eaten alive with them. They'll eat through your clothes - - or anything I think - - to get at your yummy English blood. I do hope they don't come here.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

They won't be allowed in after BREXIT

needabreak and JosieWhitehead like this.
  17. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I tried to buy fly paper yesterday but couldn't find any so ended up with a can of fly spray. I haven't used it yet because I don't want to contaminate my beer.

I can handle the four or five that fly in through the open front door but what really gets on my nerves is when they are attracted to the computer screen which is touch sensitive.

I had hoped the abundance of spiders in this old cottage would cancel out the flies but it ain't happening.

I've just looked at the can of fly spray. It says that it "kills bugs dead" How else would you want them killed?

colpee and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  18. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Oi! Here in the UK one's blood may feasibly be other than English and may even actually be yummy too.
    Pedants like myself, disregarding the actual topic, but still flocking to that "UK is English" post like flies to jam.

JosieWhitehead and colpee like this.
  19. notrevlim

notrevlim Established commenter

You can take them out with an air pistol, but it leaves holes in things...

20. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Putting my bins out the other day, I forgot that the food waste bin hadn't been emptied the last time round, contained meat, and was now crawling with maggots. I couldn't believe how fast the local fly population congregated in that bin once I'd lifted the lid, like some sort of fly flash mob. That said, it did reek somewhat.

I suspect that may be the key. Let a tiny morsel of old meat rot in the food bin, open the lid as a party invitation to every fly for a mile around, then close the lid on them FOREVER moowahahahahahaha.