1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Damian Hinds wants to tackle teachers’ workload

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jan 10, 2019.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

The education secretary admits that there are no quick answers to the workload problem, but this week he outlined his commitment to reduce the burden on teachers. He writes:

‘Our teachers have been working long hours for many years, and also work longer hours than their European counterparts, but more than half of their time is not actually spent teaching. I think teachers work too many hours.

Workload has been cited as one of the main reasons for teachers leaving the profession over a number of years. It is a complex problem that didn’t blow up overnight, and I don’t expect us to solve it in one go. Schools’ working patterns are entrenched, but so is my determination to tackle the issue.

You can be assured that we are not giving up on this. As I start my second year on the job, creating a culture where teachers love their jobs and where the brightest and the best are drawn to teaching as an attractive and rewarding profession is as important to me as ever. I will be setting out the key steps we will take to support this shortly in our forthcoming recruitment and retention strategy.

https://www.tes.com/news/damian-hinds-my-year-long-battle-reduce-your-workload

What are your views on the education secretary’s commitment to reduce teachers’ workload? Do you think the problem will ever be resolved? What more needs to be done to tackle workload and workload pressure?

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

I'm sure he wants to look good and don't forget Cabinet ministers have been on New Leader Alert since.... err.... forever really.

Even if he is genuine then he won't want to relinquish the few instruments of control, OFSTED, Exam board, budget at his command and ideologically he'll think that throwing money at the top end of the academy chains is the best idea. I've no faith he'll do anything about the recruitment/retention problem apart from getting the Tory Party members to like him.

3. -Maximilian-

-Maximilian- New commenter

Blah, blah, blah! He has done nothing and will not do anything but offer lip service. They can’t even give the majority of us an inflation equivalent pay rise. My workload has increased this year, as I have more classes than ever before and no frees now, just PPAs. More groups, more students = more work. Plus, I keep being asked to justify and provide evidence of what I’m doing to improve results (wish they’d ask the students) and process ridiculous data and produce stats/charts to demonstrate this. After 20 years I feel like giving up!

4. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

No he doesn't.

He is just saying what he thinks teachers want to hear.

5. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

The DFE have already admitted they cannot control recruitment and retention.
    Get rid of academies and I might think he’s on the right track but otherwise as already said more blah blah blah.

6. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Not even that, he's just saying what the Tory voters want to hear so they can vote Conservative and still kid themselves the education system won't go down the pan in the next few years.

7. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Just tell 'em to ckoff!

-Maximilian- likes this.
  8. bessiesmith

bessiesmith Occasional commenter

Scrap the performance appraisal system and immediately you remove a whole raft of box-ticking initiatives that people are doing solely to prove they have done something to meet their appraisal target. These often have a knock-on effect of causing yet more unnecessary work to other members of staff who have to produce data or reports in response to the initiative.

9. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

...and there's a potentially close election somewhere in the offing.

I don't think he'll go down in history as the Education secretary who sorted teachers' workload, but he won't go down as the Ed Sec who wouldn't listen and kebabbed the whole system either.

mothergoose2013 and JohnJCazorla like this.
  10. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

Starting his second year? That just about makes him about to get the chop or be promoted.

11. moscowbore

moscowbore Senior commenter

Oh well! That's that sorted. Education minister is on the case.

30% non-contact time, no after school meetings, no pointless assessment/data collection coming to a school near you.

I am so relieved.

12. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Senior commenter

"As I start my second year on the job, creating a culture where teachers love their jobs and where the brightest and the best are drawn to teaching as an attractive and rewarding profession is as important to me as ever."
    And the trust the I have in you to achieve this is the same as it was.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  13. thin_ice

thin_ice New commenter

Yep.

No other comment needed.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  14. moscowbore

moscowbore Senior commenter

This is such a politician quote. It could mean that it is very unimportant to him and remains so.

I have never understood how people can say bare faced lies in public. Integrity and honesty means nothing to this man.

15. Bobbbs

Bobbbs Occasional commenter

Stop buying books for the kids. Have the books bought by parents/grant schemes.
    Lose book marking. You're the only country that does it, and it's moronic.
    Bring in Christmas and Summer testing. You assess too much of too little, it's a joke compared with any other European nation.
    Lose all the SLT bloat. Schools need a Principal and a Vice Principal. Maybe a second Vice for over 1,200 students.
    Stop pay appraisals. Nobody with enough sense will join now, so why would the prospect of endless hoop jumping help the situation?
    Reduce timetables. 20% non contact as a minimum to allow effective planning and feedback.
    Bring back textbooks. Seriously, it's a damn joke that you don't use them. It's, quite frankly, a disgrace.

16. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

I think more non contact time is a non-starter, as it means more money.

Whatever it’s possible he’ll do, spending a substantial amount of money won’t be one of them.

agathamorse likes this.
  17. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

absolutely

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  18. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I actually think it would be very very easy to slash teacher workload.

Ban teaching staff on the school premises before 7.45am or after 6.15pm

Ban teaching staff from taking any work home, ever.

Done!

enforce those laws, and SMT would have to cut work load back to something that could be done in a 50 hour week, plus having half an hour for lunch.

19. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

This is brilliant. So well summarised and phrases. Can you please email this superb set of suggestions to Mr Hind quarters? He needs to read this. Mind you, he IS SLT bloat. Wise words and advice from you, thanks.

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  20. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Poor time management! Anyone else could have completed the tasks in half that time, so why couldn't you? Performance Management will sort you out - especially if you are on UPS.

Get rid of Performance Management, Appraisals, punitive Lesson Observations, excessive marking, along with Learning Walks, micro management, inexperienced Heads and Deputies, political interference, Business Managers, profit motive, Michael Gove, using teachers as Data collectors, bullying of staff, Free Schools, Academies etc.
    After the No-deal Brexit, all of the above will come to pass - trust me, I'm a Conservative.