1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

‘Damaging accountability systems’ caused headteacher to resign early

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TES_Rosaline, May 22, 2019.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

What is the tipping point? The pressure and stress of having to produce great results with limited resources, workload, dealing with dwindling budgets, the shifting targets and policies dictated to by politicians or maybe it was all of the above as it was for this headteacher:

‘I never intended to retire before reaching 60, but I’m going "early" this summer. The reasons are many: some personal (I’ve had enough of living away from home midweek) and some professional (a feeling "my work here is done – they are now well set up for the next phase"), but it would be disingenuous not to admit that there is a part of me that has simply had enough of having to do more with less, unintelligent and damaging accountability systems, constantly moving goalposts and supporting outstanding headteachers who are treated as the whipping boys for all the failings of social policy. As heads, we have to witness more families thrown into poverty, cuts to every service designed to support them, school budgets squeezed and endless demands that schools "close the gap" caused by disadvantage in the first place. This is nonsense: utter nonsense.’

Ros McMullen has announced her intention to retire this summer. She has worked for 19 years as a headteacher, principal and executive principal.

https://www.tes.com/news/ros-mcmull...y-because-i-can-no-longer-defend-indefensible

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I'm not surprised.
    But it's good to see she has the balls to say it as it is, rather than stick her head in the sand.
    Nothing will change though.....................

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. fredhaise

fredhaise New commenter

And this within a role in a school in a country in the EU.

4. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

It does feel like it's the 'good ones' being forced out of education, at every level.

I'm just hoping for the day that this will change, and instead we'll hear;
    ‘I never intended to retire at the age of 60, I wanted to wring as much money out of education as I could and retire before I'm 50. I don't think I can remain as a headteacher anymore though and the reasons are many: some personal (I’m a ******) and some professional (a feeling "my work here is done – there is no staff morale and they'll do a anything I tell them to avoid being the next victim."), but it would be disingenuous not to admit that there is a part of me that simply misses the unintelligent and damaging accountability systems. They were a useful stick to beat staff with but they were also pretty much all Ofsted cared about. Ends justifies the means and all that. Things have changed now though. As heads, we have to care about families thrown into poverty? Do the best for every student, rather than just which ones will make our data look better? Care about our staff wellbeing and value their experience, rather than seeing them as another cost to be minimised? This is nonsense: utter nonsense.’

Lara mfl 05 and BelleDuJour like this.
  5. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

It doesn't just feel like it....................it is the good ones being forced out.

Lara mfl 05 and Jamvic like this.
  6. kazakay

kazakay New commenter

I'm retiring early at 55 and counting my blessing by taking the hit... already counting the days to July in a "broken school" and sad to say I never thought I would go before 60. 30 years of experience, but the system is so broken and at least I depart with my professionalism and intergrity in tact to some degree. Hopefully I will gain more years on my life and no longer be dragged down the unreasonable accountability of testing constantly and data entries by those who haven't got a clue and love shuffling papers.

7. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Rational self-interest; she has decided that the financial remuneration of her present job is no longer sufficient to entice her to stay.