1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

D'Alembert's Principle: BTEC ND

Discussion in 'Science' started by Carlsberg, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Carlsberg

Carlsberg New commenter

Morig all
    My dept next year is deliverig the new BTEC (extended) Diploma in Engineering- in order to switch to the QCF format. I am a Chemist- not a Physicist , but most of it( Unit 5:Mechanical Principles and applications) looks beyond AS/A level rigour to me- the above principle included.
    Would also like to share resources if anyone else is switching to this unit too.
    <font size="3">http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/BTEC%20Nationals%20from%202010/Unit_5_Mechanical_Principles_and_Applications.pdf</font>Cheers

2. Hello there - Physics teacher here.
    Thanks for the link. I have just had a quick look through the syllabus & yes, indeed, much of the content is AS / A level physics although some of it is beyond (d'Alembert and fluid flow) & some of it is even accessible to KS3 (specific heat capacity). There also appears to be some challenging maths.
    I have never taught a BTEC syllabus & do not know the sort of profile of pupil that would take & succeed at it. All your candidates will need to be confident in maths, manipulating equations and drawing graphs.
    Assuming that there areno recommended text books for the syllabus, the books I would reach for are: Advanced Physics for You (Johnson, Hewitt, Holt & Miller) published by Nelson Thornes and Advanced Physics (Adams & Allday) published by Oxford. The latter book is not cheap, I have just had to replace my copy since my first one has walked! Both books cover more Physics than you need - you would have to pick the relevant bits out.
    Having said this, there are parts of your syllabus that are covered by neither: d'Alembert's priniciple and 'tapering fluid flow' for example. So, given my cursory glance of the syllabus, there may also be other uncovered sections.
    Both books have questions & answers in them. PforY is probably better for questions & answers (more variety, more complete answers).
    It seems you have taken on quite a challenge. If you can not find any better resources and / or want to ask me any more questions, I'd be happy to talk through the syllabus with you & share any other resources I may have (worksheets, instructions for experiments ?) that might suit. Contact me off the list.

3. Carlsberg

Carlsberg New commenter

Thank you, Hadron for your reassuring and informative reply.
    It emphasises the importance of this forum, and I will take you up on your offer of support.
    Thanks again

4. I found this - maybe you already know about it?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/BTEC-National-Engineering-Mandatory-selected/dp/0123822025/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b
    Looks as if it covers units 1 to 8.