1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

dailymailitis

Discussion in 'Personal' started by inky, Mar 4, 2016.

1. inky

inky Lead commenter

How seriously do you take the food and health information found in the Daily Mail?

2. catmother

catmother Star commenter

As seriously as I take their politics.

Geoff Thomas and magic surf bus like this.
  3. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

I can't really advise in this, it's not the type of paper I choose to read. Judging by the people I see reading it I would expect good coverage of old ladies' problems.
    Is there any particular article that you are anxious about? It may be better to buy a different paper. The Telegraph may be more your style.

4. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

I wouldn't trust anything in the Daily Fail.

delnon likes this.
  5. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

my 7 year olds would write more trustworthy stuff

delnon likes this.
  6. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

For all their "shock/horror/the sky is falling" ethos there is occasionally some extremely competent and sound journalism in the Mail.
    Have you a link to an article so we can determine which this is? @inky

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I don't see The Daily Mail advising people with high blood pressure not to read it, so I wouldn't trust them on anything else.

Duke of York, delnon and lanokia like this.
  8. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Sarah Vine writes some choice articles in it. What more could you want?;)

lanokia likes this.
  9. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I think some of it is labelled 'Sponsored Content'.

Some is simply new stories that other papers carry too.

I'm pretty sure that a lot of it is in the Femail section. Anything in that part of the paper tends to attract even more scorn (maybe just in my house?) than the rest of the rag.

10. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

If it was something that might affect me I would take it seriously enough to google for further information.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  11. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

It did tickle me that the Mail (as usual) urged its readers to vote Tory at the election, and was duly rewarded with the new Freedom (ha!) of Information proposals.
    But as comics go, it could be worse. Perhaps.

12. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Journalists are generally utter shyte at reporting anything vaguely scientific, they tend to focus on their favourite fact and then take it out of context and get over excited while ignoring lots of other pertinent facts.

The only time I see the Mail is if someone links to it from here to make a point. My conclusion is usually that they know their readership well.

13. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I gave up reading the DM a long time ago. I'd become a proper Cassandra and feared for the planet and my family's health and wellbeing. It occurred to me, one day, that all my anxieties were being fuelled by the paper.

14. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

People still read newspapers? Why?

15. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Dunno. I understand this is popular too:

delnon likes this.