1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Daily VCOP sessions - how do you do it in your class?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by willow216, Apr 11, 2012.

1. I am fairly new to Big Write, but really want to get to grips with it this term. Where do you fit VCOP sessions into your day, and for long do they usually last?
    Some ideas of what you do and how often would be fab too! Not sure where to start!

Thanks so much

2. At our school we do VCOP for 10 mins every day before literacy. A bit like an OM starter for maths!
    I went to the Big Write training with Ros Wilson last term and she talked about 'bells activities' - basically when you have 5 minutes when you are lining up for the bell etc it is a perfect opportunity to do VCOP tasks to reinforce what we have been doing.
    Hope that helps

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

That's what we do, 5-10 mins is all.
    Hmmm some people (usually those running commercial training as opposed to those who are actually teachers in classrooms in 2012) are clueless about timings. When do we ever spend 5 whole minutes lining up? 20 seconds is about it.

And you could go to the Big Maths training (same company) and they'll say the same thing.

Then a phonics/spelling company will say the same thing.

4. Thank you both for your comments.

Is the 5/10 minutes spent on VCOP related to the literacy that follows?
    Thanks again

5. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Sometimes, sometimes not. Just like a starter in maths.

7. Haha, I agree Minnie that it SHOULDN'T take 5 minutes to line up but unfortunately for us it does.
    My class have got individual lockers outside the classroom all squashed together so I have to send one group at a time to collect their belongings at the end of the day. The rest of the class stay in the classroom and we do VCOP or maths games whilst waiting for the others. I have to hover in the doorway and use the eyes in the back of my head to check that everyone is doing what they should be!! By the time all 27 children have done this and collected their books/coats/lunchboxes/letters/random **** from their lockers 5 minutes can easily have passed!
    Grrr lockers are the bane of my life!!

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL We have pegs outside the classroom and drawers inside. I just tell them to get their bits and line up by the outside door. They are a nice group of children though, so not too much pushing and shoving.

My PPA teacher sends them to get their bits an come back to the carpet and wait. Takes him 10 mins or more to do this as opposed to my 2 mins at most. And there is always a mess of bits left on the carpet. I don't understand why he persists.

9. Thanks everyone for your replies.

Cleared things up for me as I was wondering how to fit it all into my already very crammed timetable!!