1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Daily Telegraph story

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Guzintas, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Anyone have anything to share on the issues raised in the Telegraph today? Meetings I have attended, mainly AQA, have never given the sort of advice mentioned in the article. Yes, you get information on past paper performance and clarifications on finer points of syllabuses but never clues as to what is coming up on future papers.

2. Anyone have anything to share on the issues raised in the Telegraph today? Meetings I have attended, mainly AQA, have never given the sort of advice mentioned in the article. Yes, you get information on past paper performance and clarifications on finer points of syllabuses but never clues as to what is coming up on future papers.

3. DM

DM New commenter

Quite convenient for Govey really - he wants to shake the examinations system up a bit and this gives him ammunition.
    The WJEC guy didn't really give anything meaningful away but he made it sound as if he was imparting valuable information so that the delegates felt they were getting their money's worth. More fool him as I am sure he will now be forced to resign.

4. Very convenient for our glorious leader.

5. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

I attended a 2 day Edexcel conference in the summer at Warwick. There were seminars on teaching and learning, outstanding lessons, looking at past papers, but nothing on 'how to predict the papers'. You might as well say providing specimen and mock papers is showing teachers too much information about what papers will look like. I am not convinced that this is more than one rogue examiner.

6. That wasn't my experience. That's all I'm saying.

7. DM

DM New commenter

Oh blimey. You can expect 17 private messages from reporters now.

8. Why bother saying it then?

9. Well , guzintas, you asked for comments and bob boots gave his experience. It hopefully puts some of the sensation into perspective.

I agree with bob that the ones I've been on, edexcel, have been informative but not predictive.

Maybe I'm telling the kids too much? There will definitely be a Pythagoras question next year! Runs and hides!

10. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

As the Welsh Assembly is responsible for education in Wales, I don't see what business this is of either Mr Gove or Ofqual. If there's a problem with schools in England using WJEC that's a different matter.

11. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

I'm not sure chief examiners ought to be giving courses of any sort...

12. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Well I think the exam board deserve to be sued for the ones I've been on.
    That's because they were a boring waste of time. Lots of blathering on about how they classify questions as AO3 to get them past Ofqual. That's their issue not mine.
    The valuable bits of the 2 hours could have been squeezed into 5 minutes. Thank goodness for online training where you can get on with a bit of dusting and feed the dogs while still listening in.
    I guess they wouldn't say anything incriminating when you are going to be sent a recording though!

13. I tend to agree.
    It would be interesting if they gave out similar sentiments about a Maths exam.
    Can just imagine it now...
    Well, we've not seen A this year so count it in next year, B is always there, C is in rotation on a 3-year cycle (funny as it is a rotation question) so its now due, D is on a 2-exam cycle so count that, E will be on either the calculator or non-calculator paper dependent upon ensuring that the paper meets 100 marks, F...
    Not quite the same as having about 5 or 6 topics for History and having to work out which will be compulsory and which you have the choice between.
    Shocking really, as the Higher Linear list of topics came to well over 120 possible questions. Higher Gold level on OCR was 34 elements alone.

14. I think that's a bit harsh. The food was excellent.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I tell my tutees the things you can pretty much guarantee will come up so you'd better learn it.
    What's hard for them now is the wording of the questions - I just love one I read recently. There was a problem - last part was "Use algebra to solve it".
    At my school when I was young, I seem to remember going through lots of past papers to predict history questions, chemistry topics etc. Fun and games.

16. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

17. DM

DM New commenter

Govey says:
    "Our exams system needs fundamental reform. Today's revelations confirm that the current system is discredited. I congratulate the Daily Telegraph on their investigative reporting which is in the finest traditions of public interest journalism.
    Last week, Glenys Stacey the new Chief Executive of the exams regulator Ofqual agreed plans with my department to investigate exam boards’ behaviour. Today's reports confirm the vital importance of that work being speedy, authoritative and extensive.
    I have asked Glenys Stacey to investigate the specific concerns identified by the Telegraph, to examine every aspect of the exam boards' conduct which gives rise to concern and to report back to me within two weeks with her conclusions and recommendations for further action.
    As I have always maintained, it is crucial our exams hold their own with the best in the world. We will take whatever action is necessary to restore faith in our exam system. Nothing is off the table."
    Tomorrow's Telegraph has an expose on the Edexcel GCSE Geography Chief Examiner. They have recorded her saying there is "so little content that we don't know how we got it through", "you won't need to teach a lot" and "weak kids, you can get them through on anything really". She has just been suspended.

18. I thought bobboots was implying that he did think the meetings he'd been on gave too much away. Maybe I was wrong - won't be the first time or the last.

19. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Re Gove's statement above, I can't help wondering (pedant that I am) if he's simply pandaring to ignorance or is in the dark himself when he goes on about "exam boards". That is so not 21st century. You'd have thought that Glenys Stacey would have put him right. She knows an awarding body when she sees one.

20. It has been discussed on here many times about Edexcel's 'accessible' examinations.
    Latest from DT might be of interest.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/secondaryeducation/8945623/Exam-boards-investigation-boasting-about-easy-tests-undermines-exam-system.html
    Not Maths involved but somewhat damning evidence that will be hard to refute.