1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Daily Teaching hours

Discussion in 'Primary' started by E190BOO, Oct 7, 2009.

1. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

Well done, you - you've got a healthy balance. I'm sad to read of so many people working such long hours. It's important to be a good teacher but that's not the only thing that matters in life. Being a good wife/husband, parent, friend, son/daughter etc are just as important if not more so.
    I'm one of many who did the long hours, found my health threatened (I'm lucky - many people have their health destroyed) and had to pack in the job. I'll probably never get another teaching job anyway but I'll never work like that again if I do.
    60+ hours a week is a dangerous road to go down - you may as well smoke, eat nothing but junk food or drink five pints a night. Your school won't help you if you get too ill to work either.

2. Oh I'm not the most dedicated either!! I generally have a rule of no work in the weekday evenings except for the odd little bit here and there; report times etc. But, I still feel that I don't do as much as I should! I suppose it's because i work with lots of young, ambitious high-flying female teachers, who do lots at home (many single I have to say- when I was single I definitely spent more time on work, but now I have other priorities)

3. count yourself lucky, we work from 8.25 -3.20 and out lunch break is only 35 mins! I am rapidly learning to make sure my lessons finish on time which has been especially difficult as we have just gone from 1hr 10 mins to 1hr and I have still been trying to pack the same amount in!

4. I just noticed this post by accident. Teachers are their own worst enemy when it comes to work, pay and conditions. Or maybe it is only the British who are unable to establish baseline values for work and home. The work martyrs work any hours for any pay - they are the hair shirt workers who apparently have nothing better to do in their lives and of course expect everyone else to be just like them. Employers love them because they work without pay. Marvellous! Where can I find a builder, car mechanic, dentist or anybody else to work for nothing?
    People should be working for certain hours and for certain pay and under certain conditions - all of which have been negotiated by you or your group representatives. Otherwise you are unfree, a workslave. The only reason teachers have anything like a home-life is because, in fact, you have unions which have fought for a rational, humane contract - a fair days pay for a fair day's work. I left teaching because I did not want to spend the rest of my evenings working when my friends were out doing more interesting things - or just relaxing. There are a lot of haggard teachers over 30!

5. littlemissmo

littlemissmo New commenter

Finally someone talking some sense! We all put in lots of hours, and we are all concerned about the pupils we teach. This does not mean that we have to become slaves to the job, boast about the amount of hours we put in, and expect people to be impressed. Teaching is a vocation, but it is also a job - not your whole life. It is important to remember that the more people give, the more employers will take and expect everyone to give. Think about the teachers who have family responsibilties and are not able to be at school for as long as some others. This does not mean that they are not doing their job and working hard like everyone else. This culture of 'presenteeism' is destructive - we should be supporting each other and recognising the differences in the ways people choose to work.

6. hannahzed

hannahzed New commenter

i work in a school with hours from 8.30 til 4.45, thats not including after school meetings, i only get half an hour lunch and no preperation time, therefore most of my work and planning is done in my own time, surely you cant dictate your job to a minumum or maximum requirment, of course i have my own life as well, but sometimes no everything can be so rigidly set by punching in and punching out. As for "naughty" children, as someone who works with children and young adults with behavioural, emotional and learning difficulites, thats a particulalry condesending brush to tar people with. Start labelling and you have already set them up to fail.

7. we only get half hour for lunch but that means that we can finish (in theory anyway) at 3pm. usually arrive at 8-30 and leave at 4-30 with at least 2 hours work in the evening. this is the only way i can ensure i eat with my husband as he does shift work. some nights (not with meetings, just through shear amount of work) am here until 6-30 or 7pm. just think of all the hols!!!!!

8. in reply to hannazed - if you are teaching it is a legal requirement that you get 10% of the timetable as PPA therefore your teaching establishment is breaking the law if you get no freetime. you must do something about this as it has a knock-on effect to the rest of the teaching profession.

9. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

ah, so this is where all the 'new' posters are now hanging out ....

10. I often worked from 8am until 6pm (when the cleaning staff were leaving) plus working weekends, this worked out at a 60 hour week! Uncceptable, I have been unable to secure another teaching job since this contract finished and am considering an HLTA post instead so I can have my life and my husband back! This does mean less money and being very qualified but I would rather do that than being burnt out in 3 years!

11. Mrs Brewer

Mrs Brewer New commenter

Hi

I work in an academy and our hours are from 8.30 (start teaching) and finish at 4pm with a 30 minute lunch break and one 15 minute mid-morning break. I think this is more and more acceptable now. According to our principal we are classed as independent and we can be asked to do more hours if necessary. This was recently implemented when teachers on the leadership scale were informed they would now be doing a full dinner duty once a week. We are also expected to attend Friday evening/Saturday morning sessions on a fairly regular basis. I know I could move schools but for me, at the moment anyway, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

Hope this helps:)

12. Actually, there will.
    It's not just a who's-suffering-most matter, it is a common problem. Problems in common demand collective solutions. No matter how degenerate they seem, unions still remain our only way to work out our common cause. Education is on the down grade and if we don't put a limit to this, it won't get solved by itself.
    It is our lives and the lives of our pupils we are talking about. Worth trying, innit?

13. Hi
    This is interesting. I have been teaching in the FE sector for 5 years, working 08.45am to 5.15pm four days a week, and 09.00am to 9pm on Wednesdays. I try to fit in a one hour break on the Wednesday 'shift', but certainly do not get a break from my desk on other days.
    It seems that working hours and conditions very greatly depending in different sectors. We (FE) are moving back to local authority control next year so hoping to have better conditions of work. Also hoping that I can also take all the holidays off, something I am not entitled to now. Must say I am not hopeful.
    Why can't we all have the same conditions? I teach 16 to 18 year olds, a bit older on Wednesdays PM sessions. I hope you sort out your issues, teaching is a wonderful job and the students inspire me to want to help them. Could not think of anything else I would want to do.

14. I agree! I work long hours but it is through personal choice. I am forever being told to leave stuff, go home early,relax and worry about it tomorrow. I do feel however that if I did that then I would end up with a huge amount of work that I would then need to catch up on. I do find teaching extremely enjoyable however and as long as I have some sort of life outside of school, then I don't mind the long hours. xx Some teachers just need to say no a little bit more often xx

15. Congratulations you did two things here, you posted some really useful information for the OP but then decided to put yourself at the top of the list for the rudest and most judgemental person on this forum.
    OP was simply asking for advice about a perfectly reasonable issue. My school has recently also changed its number of teaching hours in a day and I was already doing more time than in my previous school and it is a question that a lot of the teachers in my school have been discussing, so I am very pleased that someone has asked the question for us.
    This is the first time I've used this forum and i won't be using it again. This forum should be a place where teachers can support each other in a non-critical way, it should not be used as an outlet for individuals petty resentments and grievences about their jobs, or for oneupmanship (i work harder than you do! oh no you don't! i work harder than you do! etc etc) and especially not for personal insults. Calling OP a troll is frankly absurd and completely unecessary.

16. My last post was based on Nomad's earlier post and the last comment above.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

One of the problems with teaching is lunchtime -
    End of lesson - 12pm
    Spend a few minutes tidying up class, sorting out problems with any children,liaising with TA etc.
    Then - grab lunch in staffroom
    As lunch is one of the only times available, have a conversation with head / other staff re any issues
    Children come and find you re after school club or event.
    Afternoon lesson coming up - quick check on resources so fully prepared for the afternoon.
    I suppose you might say that nowadays people rarely have a full lunch break. However one of the key differences between teaching and other jobs is the fact that you have to be fully prepared when 30 children suddenly turn up after lunch expecting lessons. It's not like you can prepare for them when the children are in the class is it.
    That's why I left teaching - I wanted to preserve my mental health.

18. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Or, put better:
    End of lesson - 12pm
    11.55- Children spend a few minutes tidying up class, while I liaise briefly with TA
    Then eat lunch in the staffroom
    Save conversation with Head/other staff until after school, or PPA time, or for non-urgent issues send an email.
    Children come and find me re: after school club after school, or before school
    It is entirely your choice whether you let your lunchbreak get eaten up by other mundane tasks.