1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

daily rate

Discussion in 'Independent' started by newmummy1, Oct 27, 2016.

1. newmummy1

newmummy1 New commenter

Hi All. Interested to know from part time colleagues in independent schools what you get paid if you come in to cover on days you don't normally work. or for insets on these days. My school insist all staff attend insets, which I am happy to do, but they pay part time staff who come in for these days 1/260th of the full time salary. This means that for these days my pay is lower than if I were working in a state school on a lower pay scale! When I worked in state all additional days were calculated at 1/195th of the annual full time salary. How have others fared in this regard?

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

How many school days are there in your school?
    Count up how many working days there are and that should be the divisor.
    If there are 260 (possible with Saturdays) then the daily rate seems fair.

You can't compare to state schools. Some independents pay significantly more and some significantly less. All you can do is work out what is fair in your school.

sabrinakat and asnac like this.
  3. asnac

asnac Established commenter

260 is 52x5, Sounds like the school has come to this figure based on an expectation that a full-timer would be working every weekday without holidays or even bank holidays.

This is a school, not Sports Direct! As @caterpillartobutterfly suggests, do your own calculation. You should then query the school's approach, perhaps suggesting that you meet on Christmas Day to discuss...

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I suppose maybe the school is saying 'this is a yearly salary, so we'll divide by the number of working days in a year'. Probably devised by an office worker who is now magically on SLT and given a whole heap of responsibility but no common sense.

Use the published term dates to add up the actual working days and use that figure. Ask for a conversation with the head or the bursar and just ask about it.

GeordieKC likes this.
  5. newmummy1

newmummy1 New commenter

I spoke to SLT about it but they wouldn't budge. It really annoys me as next term I have to work 2 extra days for which I will be paid far less than I should be!