1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Daily rate or contract

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Shabas, Jun 20, 2011.

1. I have been offered one day a week - should I negotiate 0.2 contract or is it best to have a daily rate?

2. I have been offered one day a week - should I negotiate 0.2 contract or is it best to have a daily rate?

3. I haven't got an answer for that - I currently do 0.3 PPA cover (primary) on supply rate, but have just been asked to do the sections of the reports that I have been teaching - ie RE and music. As far as I am concerned, I am only paid for the hours I am in school (I do the marking and a lot of prep already), and am unsure what my position is on this. Maybe I would be better negotiating a contract, then at least I would be paid in the hols, and other days when the school happens to be closed when I would normailly be teaching! Maybe you would be better off doing that too.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

If you can get it contract is always better than daily rate, because although daily rate factors in holidays, if the school is closed for any reason e g forthcoming strike, as a daily one won't get paid, whereas contract people do.