1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

daily rate of pay

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by pwtin, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Yes I am sure that approach will work for a lazy person. It is right and proper that you get paid less because you are so lazy. In fact, you have a flaming cheek expecting to be paid at all when you are so lazy.
    It's certainly no wonder that the contract teachers YOU come into contact with think that you are overpaid. You clearly are.
    I have been supply teaching for......errrm.....too long probably, but have never heard it suggested that I am overpaid.
    All slightly tongue in cheek, but saying people have a flaming cheek to expect their quoted rate of pay......well, what a stupid thing to say.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

In three different bouts of supply over a twelve year period, I have heard comments here and there along the lines of 'yes but you get paid loads as a supply teacher, don't you'. I then have to explain how my LA rate is worked out, ie the same rate as I'd get normally divided by the number of school days. I also then explain that when I work via an agency I get paid rather less per day but get more days. People are always surprised. The comments about being paid a lot are not personal to me, but general beliefs about supply teachers.
    If you read the posts on here, one of the reasons often mentioned for experienced teachers to choose supply is that it frees them from all the 'extra' work. There's no meetings, no paper work, little planning, no parents evenings, no assessments, no report writing, no all the other stuff that comes with having a contract. But not all supply teachers are therefore lazy. We are just choosing a job that gives us the ability to have a life as well. We know that when we choose this job we also choose a lower salary (or we do if we bother to do our homework) but we choose to make that choice.

3. It's common knowledge that a supply teacher who works the maximum number of days gets the full annual salary. Most contract teachers know this. Most supply teachers don't work anywhere near the full number of days and do not have the advantage of a guaranteed salary. Additionally,If they are ill, they don't get paid. They take the advantages with the disadvantages and they shoulder the burden of risk. If contract teachers are envious of the arrangement, they can always become supply teachers. Any teacher who says to you "yes but you get paid loads as a supply teacher, don't you" is ignorant about their profession. Frankly, I don't believe that they do say this.
    I used the "lazy" word because that is how you described yourself when you talked about using an agency. I am simply agreeing with you, particularly since your attitude does supply teachers a disservice. You "choose" a lower salary if you want to. Hand over as much of your salary as you like to your agency. Other supply teachers have every right to their proper daily rate (given that they do the job reasonably). I think that your efforts to make them feel guilty about getting paid their proper rate may fall on stony ground.
    At one point you seem to think you are speaking on behalf of all supply teachers ("we know that when we choose this job we choose a lower salary"). Well I don't and I bet a lot of others don't. You talk about having to explain your salary to contract teachers. Well...no you don't. Your salary is nothing to do with anyone else.
    Do you have low self esteem or something? Stand up for yourself.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Well that is of course your choice and the nature of open forums. People may choose to believe what they read or not.
    I apologise to anyone who feels guilty due to my posts. That was certainly not the intention. I was merely explaining why I don't feel hard done by for not earning as much as my contract colleagues.
    People should always look into the salary conditions before taking up employment and, therefore, know they are choosing to earn less if they choose to be a supply teacher. Naturally the situation is very different for those who have not chosen this role and who would dearly love to have a contract. I cannot speakon that situation as I have never been in it.
    If you read the many posts on here from the people who are on contracts and thinking about switching to supply, they almost always mention the knowledge that they will earn less. I have no reason to suppose they are more informed than anyone else. Even if we get paid to scale as our daily rate (and those of us lucky enough to have LA work as well as or instead of agency do so) we still earn less as we don't work every day.

5. I've read this thread with interest as I'm currently working part time contract alongside some additional supply.
    On the supply day I'm up and out of the house at 8 and home at 4.
    When I'm doing my contract I'm in work at 7:15 and home at 5:15. Then there is the extra I do at home and the weekend planning, aswell as the odds and ends that need tidying up over the holidays.
    When I sat down and worked out my daily and hourly (equivalent) rate from my contracted work, I wasn't far over the minimum wage!!

6. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Since starting supply last summer I have heard the comment 'as a supply you get paid a lot more than me' quite frequently. I believe this is based on general ignorance of the terms and conditions we undertake as supply teachers, particularly via private agencies.
    I don't do supply by choice and I am actively looking for a permanent teaching post to start induction. As an NQT I am paid about £110 a day by an agency. I realise that this is more than some NQTs in other areas, and possibly reflects the fact that I do work in outer London which attracts a fringe allowance (approx £2,500) for permanent teachers. For a six hour day (according to my terms of engagement) my daily rate equates to £18.30 an hour, which is very good. However, when I undertook a long term booking (I don't do them any more!) I found I was working for at least nine hours a day (spending at least one hour at home preparing work) which had the effect of decreasing my hourly rate to about £12 per hour: still a good hourly rate. However, when you re-calculate that as an annual salary (without sick pay, pension contributions, holiday pay) it equates to £21060 (ie 12 x 9 x 195 days) which is less than a NQT working in outer London, who would currently earn £24,000 per year.
    Of course, there are advantages to being a NQT on supply (eg the opportunity to refine behaviour management strategies without the hinderance of paperwork). However, it's not a job for the faint hearted and I certainly don't get any allowances made for the fact that I'm newly qualified: I'm expected to hit the ground running on every assignment that I undertake and I don't receive any SMT support or get the opportunity to attend CPD courses.