1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

daily rate of pay

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by pwtin, Mar 18, 2009.

1. podilato

podilato New commenter

I got a call from my usual agency to go to a school, not as a teacher, but as a cover supervisor for £80. I did exactly the same as a teacher except I got paid about one third less. I won't be doing it again. Sign of the times?

2. The agencies will continue to be greedy and immoral as long as we all let them! The schools refuse to stand up to them. I don't know why. I presume the deputy head thinks he doesn't have time or energy to tell them a thing or 2 but he should.
    I am leaving my long term supply position because they refuse to pay me my M6 salary (£178 per day inner London - check web sites for your rate - it's the annual salary divided by 195 school days). Remember we don't get paid for holidays or have any pension contributions so it has to be calculated that way. I didn't do my homework before I started and it was a major mistake.
    You don't ask, you don't get.

3. agree.
    same reason i started the 'refuse to be exploited' thread. i will not ever, ever ever take on a long term position via an agency, ever ever ever ever ever..........
    do they think we have forgotten about pay and conditions in our profession, via LA - do they think we are stupid!
    as i'm not an nqt and don't have to make up so many days experience, i will never - to all agency workers, ever, take on one of your poxy little long term exploitation contracts on £135 a day!
    plus, why aren't the monopolies and merger's commission investigating the price setting - cartel like rates that agencies set for our minimum wages!!!!

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

No-one tells permanent teachers that they are pricing themselves out of the market when they get paid to scale.
    Schools seem happy to pay their contract teachers the proper rate even when some (a minority) are remarkably quick to go on the sick. I've covered for one who has been off more than she's been at work in the past 6 years. She gets paid for being sick; if I took a day or so off with a virus picked up at school, I got zilch!
    At the very least we supply teachers deserve 'to-scale' pay. I get the full daily rate for a supply day, even if I arrive just before morning registration and leave once the last lesson is over. I have to put up with more disrespect and hassle than permanent teachers; I have to absorb discipline policies in a few minutes and implement them straightaway; I have to be flexible with subjets taught and teach something that I have only just come across for the first time myself at times! In my book that means I've earned the full daily rate. I do not regard it as being paid to scale when LEAs split the daily rate into 6.5 hours and only pay for 5 and a quarter hours!
    I actually think it is schools that are forcing down the pay rates, not agencies.
    I also question the economic sense (or should that be 'nonsense'?) of having several covers upervisers permanently employed at a school. I've been to one where they sometimes have 3 such employees in the staffroom all day as there is nothing for them to cover. Strangely, they don't use them as extra support in classes. aS WELL AS PAYING THEIR WAGES (A third toa half of a supply teacher's, but paid all year not just when needed) they also end up funding the sick leave of those CSs. I've been in at times, at to scale rates, covering the cs WHO SHOULD HAVE BEEN COVERING THE ABSENT TEACHER! That's 2 teachers' salaries, plus one CS salary for one 'woman' day!
    I think schools should look at their staffing record over a year or two and calculate the CS pay versus the cost of getting in a qualified teacher only on the days when required.
    As schools have to keep in-house teacher cover down to 38 hours per year and reduce it year on year until it disappears, they may think that they need permanent CSs to cover the first 3 days of a teacher absence (before a qualifies teacher is brought in). Why not employ supply CSs for those first few days?

5. I think schools are as much at fault as agencies as well. The schools want supply teachers on the cheap. The bottom line agencies go in and say we have great teachers at a low rate. The schools sign up with them. Happy to see quality mark and investors in people and other rubbish on the letterhead.
    However many good supply teachers just do not work for the bottom line.
    Next minute the school is moaning about the quality of the supply teachers they are getting without looking at the big picture.
    I will sign on rather than take a long term with naff day rates to rub shoulders with the perm teachers on considerably less money.
    If they can do it with CS I am not moaning either.
    They just are not getting me for naff rates. (I have had constant work since January a week here and a week there) on OK rates. I have refused at least 4 serious approaches from naff agencies with naff rates.
    Do you think the agencies say we can't get that supply teacher who's CV you like because he or she will not take the job on for the rates-No chance
    This business is full of snake oil

6. here here.
    the business, is in short, a scam.
    the agencies are leeches.
    they are leeching off my pay to scale rate.
    leeches, leeches, leeches, leeches....... get the point.
    privatisation is letting these leeches suck the blood out of our supply pay and condition rights.
    it needs reviewing and regulating and organising properly.
    total misuse of public money.
    total waste of resources, paying for so many offices and overheads (i.e. we are paying with our reduced rates of pay)
    bring back the two ladies in the :LA office ringing us all around, placing us in local schools (not ones 50 minutes away) paying us to scale.
    oh, but that would be efficient, and the public sector doesn't do efficient does it?

7. I have to agree with everything that has been said about agencies! I moved over here from Australia and they instantly try and nab you. I rang about a job on one of their websites,, the next thing I had two job offers in 12hours. The second school mentioned that supply teachers can earn up to 180 a day. Whether they said that to get me to ditch the agency, but at the moment I get 125 a day, and have been chasing the pay rise they promised me back in February!!
    I am now going to approcah schools on my own and take it from there!!

8. Hi just been reading all the other comments about this subject. I am with two different agencies. one pays me £140 per day and the other pays me £105 per day. i am on pay scale M3 which is how the first agency calculated at £140 per day by dividing my M3 salary by how many days in year etc. the other agency just said they would pay me £105 - no calculations etc.

Should i be making a phone call to my £105 per day agency??? and asking for a pay rise???

9. I was under the impression that agencies charged a standard rate to schools for providing supply teachers irrespective of the daily rate they were paying each teacher.
    From reading the above comments it looks like the agencies are varying the rates they charge schools according to the daily rate of a supply teacher. Is this correct?
    By charging a standard rate to schools it would be in the interests of the agency to pay supply teachers as low a daily rate as they could get away with, thereby increasing their profits.
    Also, would they be more inclined to give work to a teacher on £100 a day than say, £150 if they had the choice - again increasing their profit?

10. Hi,
    im currently supply with select in west midlands. im NQT but have 1 term of induction. i was offered £80 but managed to get it up to £110.00 LEA pay £105. but contributes to teachers pension.
    I have found select to be really helpful - hope this helps

11. Hello,
    I'm currently doing supply -directly with a school, paid by the LA - but am worse off than when with another county last year because they calculate by dividing my annual salary by 1265 to get an hourly rate. (Then pay me for 5 hours,48 mins, giving me 90seconds at each end of the day to get to and from my class, pick up necessary stuff from various points around school. If I take longer I'm doing it for free!!!!!)
    My former place divided by 195 - pay per day - and now I'm £20 a day worse off!!!
    Any advice as to how to proceed? I like the school where I am but I know I'm worth more than I'm getting...

12. teacherflea

teacherflea New commenter

Though, I work AT LEAST 500 hrs less a year as a supply teacher (if I was working every day on a day to day contract) as I was when I worked as a full-time teacher. And... I only have to see the children for one day (if they are really that horrible), don't have to worry about them/their parents/what I'm teaching them night after night, no staff meetings, no parents evenings, no reports, no in-school 'politics', no IEPs...I'm straight in and straight out (after a bit of marking) though I still get paid the same rate of pay as a full-time teacher - is that fair?

13. I mean for Pete's sake - how often does it have to be said? Your daily rate is your daily rate. A full day should be 6and a half hours and your daily rate is an established figure within the profession, depending on where you are on the scale. Don't work for less. Ditch the rip off agencies and get pro active. Write to a hundred schools and sell yourself.
    Find out what your exact hourly rate should be. M3? Fine. Don't work for less - or "less" will possibly become the norm for you,

14. How does that work for an overseas qualified teacher? I have 5 years teaching experience (most of it daily supply)...I would be Mwhat....M5?

15. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Or effectively pay the agencies for doing this work for you and relax and enjoy just teaching. Obviously you can't then complain about earning less than you would having done the work yourself. But for lazy people like me, it is preferable to pay the agency to do it for me.
    I also don't mind earning below scale as I do far less work. I start at about 8.15 most mornings and finish at about 3.30 in the afternoon. I do no work all evening or at weekends. I don't earn the same pay as someone starting at 8.00am and not finishing until 7pm, who is also working at least one of the weekend days. And to be frank I think it would be a flaming cheek to ask for it.
    No wonder contract teachers have this belief that supply teachers are overpaid.

16. According to the NUT the daily rate should be the MPS annual salary divided by 195 E.g.
    MPS point 6= £30148 pa. [for 2008/2009].
    Hence £30148 divided by 195 gives £154.61 (2dp) per day!

17. The trouble with agencies is that they do not simply just get paid for finding the school on your behalf, they rip you off while doing it which just smacks right in the face.

Tell me, would you be happy with a qualified teacher only getting £50 a day? This is what is happening here where there is no LEA supply pool and agencies rule the roost. They also try to bar you from approaching schools on an indivudla basis by informing school if they wish to have anyone from their agencies, they can only work with agencies. They have a monopoly here.

18. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'm obviously very lucky where I work. There is no LA pool, but schools are free to employ teachers directly in a supply capacity should they wish. Most schools also use more than one agency, so monopoly there either. I think maybe the competition element means both supply teachers and schools get a better deal.

19. Withdraw your services from those RIP-OFF agencies and refuse to work for a mere £50/day.
    Even the school cleaner would get more than that.
    BLACKLIST that agency...and write to your local corrupt MP who is perhaps claiming a second home allowance at some £50 000 pa plus annual salary @ £65 000pa basic!!!!!

20. that poster who says that they are o.k. with being paid a lesser rate by agency as doing less work than a full timer is missing point to be blunt.

the schools are not paying less for him/her to work there. it will be costing school as much, if not more than it would if he/she was paid directly to scale. so what is the point in accepting this status quo?

there is no morale high ground here to be satisfied with.
    we are only paying agencies to find work, as we have no choice as no LA supply pools due to privatisation of this sector.
    i still do a double take when i'm in a school even now, and think 'how come i'm in the state system, doing this job as per usual, and getting payed so little compared to others here'.
    especially when you come across a fellow supply, known to school who tells you they are there direct!