1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Daily pay V hourly pay. Will it make a difference to my pension?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by zaco, Jan 14, 2018.

1. zaco

zaco New commenter

Im wondering if anyone has the same dilemma as me. I work two days a week: one day supply teaching music and the other 5.5 hours for the music service, both days in a primary school. I have a final salary pension and I'm due to retire in two years time. Is the hourly pay detrimental to my pension?

2. captain scarlet

captain scarlet Established commenter

Depends if you pay into pension [tp], supply via agency no credits to tp, ususally separate, music service will probably be separate pension.
    Ask teacher pensions as to state of play, you can log on and see details online

3. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

You would need to contact the Teachers Pension Scheme. I assume you are not working via an agency but directly for the county as a supply teacher.
    If so you will have deductions taken for TPS. If the supply is via an agency you can't pay into TPS.
    To address your question, so much depends on how much you had already contributed and for how long. It is calculated on an individual basis.

4. zaco

zaco New commenter

Thank you, I'm paying into TP, they are looking into it and I'm waiting for them to get back to me. Fortunately I don't have to go through an agency as council runs both music service and supply. Just wondered if someone has experience of this. Any advice appreciated.