1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Daily Mile

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Vince_Ulam, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

An excellent idea.

[​IMG]

As soon as the children at one primary school in Stirling hear the words “daily mile”, they down their pencils and head out of the classroom to start running laps around the school field.

For three-and-a-half years, all pupils at St Ninians primary have walked or run a mile each day. They do so at random times during the day, apparently happily, and despite the rise in childhood obesity across the UK, none of the children at the school are overweight.

The daily mile has done so much to improve these children’s fitness, behaviour and concentration in lessons that scores of nursery and primary schools across Britain are following suit and getting pupils to get up from their desks and take 15 minutes to walk or run round the school or local park.

(Guardian.com 28th September 2015)

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I like it - it'll do more for their fitness and health than compulsory PE, which tends to include an awful lot of standing around and general wasting of time.

3. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I think it's a good idea and can presumably be fitted in when it's convenient for the school. I'm not surprised it's improved behaviour either. We used to get our 'lively' students to run round the field to work of surplus energy. Monitored by a member of staff, of course!

peggylu and monicabilongame like this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yeah sounds decent... just get them moving. Even a one mile walk is better than nothing.

peggylu and monicabilongame like this.
  5. Tigger1962

Tigger1962 New commenter

This is a common thing in many Scandinavian schools - the primary school my kids attended in Sweden were already doing this in all types of weather in the early 2000s

6. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I like this. I'm going to mention it to my head and PE leader on Monday.

7. Vince_Ulam

@nick909

Let us know how they receive the idea, please. Thanks.

nick909 likes this.
  8. squirrel9367

squirrel9367 New commenter

We have started this this term. As our school is very small we can't do a mile onsite so we go out for a walk around the local area. We bought a hi viz waterproof poncho for each child for the rain. So far so good. Michael Gove would have loved my walk last week. For homework my class had learnt The Owl and the Pussycat off by heart. Some were reciting it to me as we walked and the rest had decided to march as Roman soldiers and chant Latin as they did so (we did this in a lesson in the Romans earlier in the week!). Very Govian - poetry by heart, marching exercise, discipline and Latin all in 15 minutes.

We have limited facilities for PE and very few of our children walk to school so this is a good way of everyone getting exercise.

9. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

The only potential obstacle is our school field being slightly smaller than a postage stamp. it can be done though - 17 laps I think I once worked out.

monicabilongame likes this.
  10. Vince_Ulam

Use the diagonal of the field to add variety and reduce perimeter-lap & tedium, perhaps also for an increase in pace.

Middlemarch likes this.
  11. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Excellent idea. Costs next to nothing, takes up very little time and burns off energy that might otherwise be used for messing about.

peggylu likes this.
  12. Vince_Ulam

Good cross-curricular links for P.E. in the Daily Mile, as 'mile' has Latin etymology. English, History & Geography, right there.

13. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I like the idea, but don't think it would be well received in my school. I can imagine blank looks and 'But what are they learning?' type questions.

14. Vince_Ulam

They may rote learn as they walk.

15. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

If I was at a school doing the daily mile I think I would join them! Nothing like a brisk run.
    I was thinking that the parkrun initiative would have much to lend to this. There are a vast number of volunteer 'roles' that children could do from scanning to collecting the tokens. In addition, this generates lots of personal numbers and statistics which the children could do number work with.
    First rule of teaching is always don't take away an opportunity for learning by doing something for them. Get them doing these things for themselves. I should point out that the older the child, the more they can help out. Why are there no league table obsessed secondary schools doing this?

16. maurice-r

maurice-r Established commenter

Unenforceable at secondary level in a big-school environment.

17. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Oh I wouldn't mandate it. I would run it at lunch or just before school. As soon as that running data become available on Strava the little cherubs would soon get themselves into a competitive froth.

18. loadsatime

loadsatime New commenter

Hi there, I took on the role of PE co-ordinator for my school in September. I've been looking into getting this started and trying to figure out the logistics which is proving quite a challenge. Would any of you have suggestions on how you have managed to include it in your daily timetable? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

19. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

@loadsatime put a blank timetable up in the staffroom and ask (by email if necessary) every class to fill in when they are able to 'do' their mile. It doesn't have to be before school. Could be before morning break or mid-afternoon - which might ward off the post-lunch stupor.

Of course, you'll have to work out how far the children will need to walk/run so that each class do the same amount of laps.

20. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

This is done at my son's school.

It's fine for those are able to run, or even walk at length. Out of the whole of KS1 ( just under 180 children) he has come last EVERY time as he has a medical condition.

He's not timed, so it is impossible to even encourage him in terms of Personal Bests (PB). As a result, he LOATHES it.

It's not making him fitter, it's making him hate going in.

As he takes the longest time, the lessons have already started when he goes in, so he is missing the friggin' starter or not eating with his class.

How's that for misery?