1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Daily Mail Website: A love/hate relationship

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ian60, Feb 2, 2011.

1. ian60

ian60 New commenter

Anyone else addicted to the DM website?
    I can't help myself, I have to open it to read the latest *** they can publish.
    I love to trawl through the comments to find the BNP supporters spouting off about 'Broken Britain' or 'Elf & Safety gone mad'.
    Sometimes I put in a few red or green arrows!
    On really angry days I even leave my own comments which are very rarely published.

Someone help me!!

2. On the back of this thread, I had a look and wished I hadn't. Yet another story of horrific child abuse which has traumatised me. That poor baby.

3. ian60

ian60 New commenter

But even that story was very quickly turned into a 'slag off' social workers jibe.

4. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I wouldn't wipe my backside with the filth that is the Daily Fail but for some reason I often find myself clicking on the link from the Yahoo page just to giggle at the tripe they're brain washing the gullible with this time. Urgh.

5. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Try not to go on there because I always get angry when I read the comments.

6. mychuck

mychuck New commenter

Yep...I'm guilty. It's almost as addictive as Jeremy Kyle!!

7. moonpenny

moonpenny New commenter

I did used to take the odd look if it was a free paper in a cafe, and was never disappointed that I was right to think it was an awful paper.

I can no longer even look at it, I'd just get too cross.

8. Ok - now stand up and repeat to the assembled group:
    my name is Ian and I am a Dailymailaholic
    it's the first step.....
    or you could try buying a few novels - just to fill in your spare time

9. I dislike tthe Daily Mail because of it's attitude to those on benefits - we're not all scroungers and fruadsters, some of us are actually entitled to the money we get!
    Sadly, it is mum's paper of choice - purley because she likes their crosswaord puzzle you understand! ...and that is her excuse every single time I query her choice.

10. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

My parents get it because 'it has a lot of reading' and they love the free dvds etc. I have a glance at it when there and it is compellingly awful.

11. that's my mother-in-law, too

12. blazer

blazer Star commenter

My in-laws have it and they save them up and bring them round for us to look at. They go straight into the recyling once mrs B has cut out the coupons to win the holiday home/royal wedding plate/Royal Doulton tableware etc. However when we visit them I do sit and read it. It is more like a comic really. Everything is either black or white with nothing inbetween. Their campaign against putting the clocks on 1 hour is hilarious. They just refer to it as Berlin Time!

13. i thought we weren't supposed to mention......

14. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

15. It's online and free, and we don't have a newsagent that delivers anymore. I used to read The Times online but I sure as hell aren't paying for it. So occasionally I visit the DM just to make myself feel superior about everything.

16. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Agree with Lily, I refuse to pay to read The Times and I find the anti-Europe hysteria in the Mail quite comical. Plus the " How are we going to survive on only £50 000 ? " stories that you know are just inviting indignant comments. I've never felt like posting, although I'm amazed at how much they make up. How can they get away with total fabrication ?

17. It depends on how much you want it to be true and how much you want it to be a lie.

18. bfudge69

bfudge69 New commenter

I don't read it. I wouldn't wipe my bum on it as I don't think it is worthy. I'm surprised I'm even commenting on a thread about it. Time for a quick rant.....
    If I see something on the forum which looks interesting I usually have a look but if it's a link to the DM I go back to the main page and look for something else. I wouldn't use their website as I wouldn't want to give them the extra 'hit'. The more people who buy it or browse online at it the more rubbish they will produce.
    The unfortunate thing about this is that some people actually believe it and use it to form their opinions.
    I avoid it totally in the hope that it will eventually vanish.

Ahhhhh better [​IMG]

19. QED

20. My problem is that if I click a link I am in and can't help but read the rest of the ridiculousness.

Lily- there are lots of other free online papers (independent, guardian)