1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Daily lesson plans

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by scousegirl, Jun 30, 2008.

1. I'm a middle leader in a large secondary and our head has instructed all staff to produce daily lesson plans which he wants subject leaders to scrutinise. This has caused uproar amongst staff and I and other curriculum leaders feel trapped between supporting colleagues at grass roots level and implementing SLT initiatives.

Any advice?

2. I'm a middle leader in a large secondary and our head has instructed all staff to produce daily lesson plans which he wants subject leaders to scrutinise. This has caused uproar amongst staff and I and other curriculum leaders feel trapped between supporting colleagues at grass roots level and implementing SLT initiatives.

Any advice?

3. Ask "When" ?

4. Ask "Why"?

5. then ask "where is the time coming from to do this?"

6. That was what my "when" meant

7. Ah well... the "when?" is now and the "why?" is bad OFSTED inspection. As for "where is the time coming from?", I'm doing them now after I've just spent 2 hours marking mocks, to say nothing of the APPs stacked up in the study. There is no work-life balance right now. As you can imagine, staff morale is low.

8. I am afraid just asking for daily lesson plans is not going to raise standards, people need to know how to plan a GOOD lesson to teach well and raise standards IMHO

9. the why i am interested in is not why they asked but why they think it will help solve the problem

10. I guess I'm wondering what sort of planning happens at the moment where you are scousegirl. I'd have thought it simply good practice for teachers to produce lesson plans but if these are the A4 page per lesson covered in fine print then yes, this would be a bit over the top. But if the alternative is nothing at all then that's not okay either.

11. Daily lesson plans are one sheet of A4 for EACH LESSON, not just for the week.

I produce the equivalent of daily lesson plans, but that's my choice, because I have a brain made of Swiss cheese. To be forced to do it all the time would be quite over the top.

Agree with the poster who said it would be good to have an inset, perhaps, on HOW a good lesson plan should look and be taught. But we all know one can write the moon and it won't come off the way it's planned (especially if it's a full moon with loads of windy weather!).

Perhaps it might be worth suggesting that daily plans be produced twice a term - on a surprise week (give a week's notice, in other words) - so that one can monitor that all the elements are there.

OFSTED doesn't care about what your lesson plans look like, unless you have none. They DO care about the learning gains in classes. If there haven't been many gains, then they'd probably look at planning. Probably. Possibly. Of course, they might look at other things like SLT support for discipline, which can ruin any good teacher's brilliant plans.

I recall in one school having to plan my lessons so that I had 15 minutes or so of just behaviour management work. When Ofsted came in, my little devils were good as gold - the first observed lesson. I ended up with 15 minutes left to the lesson and nothing on the plan for it!! I did comment to inspectors that I was kind of scared as to what was brewing... *grin* But that lesson didn't get a good rating, despite the good learning gains, because of the shortfall in time (under the much older inspection regime).

The next day, my miscreants were back to being themselves and I was having trouble holding things together, the plan sticking well to time, because of the extra time built in for behaviour management. That lesson got a good rating, even though I thought it was **** because of the behaviour!!

It's not the writing, it's in the execution of plans that makes a difference....

12. It was not the production of daily lesson plans that I thought odd or even time consuming

A Subject leader for a core subject might have 7 staff all teaching 5 or 6 lessons

When will that leader have time to read and give useful feedback on 40 lesson plans per day

13. WD

WD New commenter

Tell the SMT you will consider this when there has been whole staff training and ongoing support focused on how to improve classroom practice. Also ask them in what ways will producing written lesson plans help best practice without the aforementioned traing.

Finally ask the SMT to lead the writing by modelling best written practice for half a term on their own and in selected subject areas, that staff can then take on once it has been established that it supports good teaching.

14. Thanks for your responses. It's given me plenty to think about.

15. I think it's reasonable to have learning objectives for each lesson and a few brief notes as an aide memoire to yourself - this might include timings. However, full page lesson plans are unacceptable and hark back to PGCE.

16. A lesson plan is a guide for the teacher, not something for the bosses.....my technique is to write them in Chinese characters (could be Welsh say, or Basque, or shorthand, or symbols that mean something to the class teacher)and let the bosses read that!
    If the bosses are worried about the lesson they can blimmin well set up an observation and arrive at the start of the lesson, stay throughout, and provide written feedback and a verbal de-brief.

....by the way, with the lesson in symbols/characters/shorthand tweak the odd bit, and photocopy a few slightly different ones....that should keep the bosses at bay for a while.

17. Does anyone have an actual template for a daily lesson plan? or even a structure which they could send so i could have a look and gain some ideas?

18. annsue

annsue New commenter

Scousegirl, I have been reading through your old postings and wondered how you got on with theplanning dictats. Was there a rebellion?

19. Welcome to primary. We have to write daily lesson plans for every lesson with virtually every detail -some schools even require teachers to list the questions they will ask the children!

20. sianna

sianna New commenter

I have daily/individual lesson plans for every module I teach for every class in every year. I change/update them every year to take into account the different needs of the students. I share these plans with others in my department and they share theirs too - we don't copy each other, we adapt them according to our own personal teaching styles. It is great and if we put all our daily lesson plans together we'd have enough for several years worth of lessons.
    If someone is absent it helps a lot because we know how far the teacher has got and we can give the cover teacher something useful to do.
    We don't consider lesson planning as optional, it's the foundation of all we do in the classroom.
    How on earth do teachers manage without them? It must make teaching very stressful to enter a classroom not knowing why you are there or what you are going to do.