1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Daily Golden Mile. ( mostly a waste of time!!)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tandemtinker, May 25, 2019.

1. tandemtinker

tandemtinker New commenter

As an intervention teacher going to 5 schools per week, I do witness 4 of the schools doing the "Golden Mile"...….for 3 of them it's an absolute waste of time for the children, other than oxygenating their lungs!....the children just stroll/amble round the field....chatting, ( one school encourages children to walk reading a book!!)…..however, one school does, I believe, make it worthwhile for all children....the children keep a daily log and, before going out, they record their pulse rate and then complete the mile at a brisk rate, walking fast or running....on return to the classroom they re-record their pulse rate...….need I say more????

2. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I am a supply teacher and I see it happening in many of the schools that I work in. It happens at various times of the day including 9am straight after registration.

In my opinion it is a complete waste of time.

3. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

Our pupils got bored with the Daily Mile as soon as the novelty wore off. Some would continue to run the mile, others would slowly wander along chatting to their friends. After a month or so of doing the Daily Mile, we changed to doing a variety of daily fitness activities we refer to as Fit in 15. We fit in 15 minutes of physical activity on the days we don't have our PE lessons. The pupils are responding much better to these sessions than the daily mile. We've been doing it for a couple of years now and the pupils always remind us if we've not done Fit in 15 by lunchtime each day.

The Fit in 15 activities include a wide range of tag games, skipping, hula hooping etc. Sometimes we have a rota for pairs of older pupils to lead Fit in 15 activities for the younger ones. Sometimes we use 5-a-day Fitness (on the whiteboard) in the classroom. A couple of free examples of this scheme fit in well with French and Spanish lessons.

Pomza likes this.
  4. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Actually thinking further on this... whilst I consider it to be a waste of time with very little benefit for the children I am actually getting paid to stand in the playground doing nothing apart from uttering various words of encouragement!

More schools should do it.

5. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

It has been the absolute bane of my life as a parent this year - it's made my eldest very very conscious that she's not a fast runner and switched her off trying new sport (thankfully she swims, does karate, dances, climbs any item of my furniture available and generally never stops) and my youngest child has severe dyspraxia, poor muscle tone and it's led to kids taking the mickey out of her for how she runs differently to others and basically fuelled the bullying beginning at the age kids are starting to notice differences.

I am really sick of it, the teachers are sick of it and the waste of time is being inflicted from someone on high. The only people enjoying it are a few of the boys who can run fast and are having a whale of a time mocking those less athletic than them.

bevdex, Sally006 and nomad like this.
  6. sarahlouxx

sarahlouxx New commenter

Makes me sad to hear that this is causing distress.

Our children in school love it -
    Many do
    Extra during break or lunch.

Parents do it with children before school
    Too. It’s make KS2 afternoons so much better and ks1 enjoy it in the morning.

DexterDexter and Pomza like this.
  7. starlightexpress

starlightexpress Occasional commenter

I’d see this as a learning experience for eldest and a development experience for youngest.

Eldest- we’re not going to be the best at everything in life. We might excel in one sport, yet not in another. How can we use the experience as opportunity to improve? The Daily Mile is about fitness, not speed. Personally I find walking uphill more effective than running at pace.

Youngest- wouldn’t this activity support muscle tone over time?

If bullying, then the school needs to deal with this under approach and policy. A messsge that ‘we’re all different, with different skills.’

I like the Fit in 15 idea as an alternative. These sort of activities might support your youngest.

8. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

Once again, schools take over a parental responsibility.

If you own a dog, you walk it. If you own a child, apparently that’s the schools job.

I know some will say ‘many parents don’t have time or energy after work to engage in sports with their children’. To this I simply say - ‘they are not parents’.

nomad likes this.
  9. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

As a dyspraxic, your younger child should be the one who benefits most, as they are unikely to succeed in other sports apart from running. Maybe a more encouraging attitude from you might be constructive?

i assure you the mile is not the cause of bullying. It would only direct the bullying that would already happen. The cause of bullying is bullies, and their behaviour and attitude needs to be what changes. it isn't actually possible to tackle bullying by attempting to remove everything someone might get bullied about, and it is completely pointless and self defeating to try

Pomza and starlightexpress like this.
  10. gainly

gainly Senior commenter

If the children walked to school instead of being driven, there would be no need for this and the environment would be improved.

11. gainly

gainly Senior commenter

12. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Walking bus is not new. A school I worked in had a walking bus for children in the village and this was over 6 years ago. We still had parents drive their children to school who lived outside the village but unfortunately there is no where for those parents to park so their children could use the walking bus. Gone are the days when everyone went to their local school, gone are many of the schools, so some parents have no choice but to drive.