1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Daily cover

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by hk14, Dec 10, 2018.

1. hk14

hk14 New commenter

Hello,

Sorry if this has been asked before (I'm sure it has but I cannot find it) but I am looking to stay daily cover from next month for the first time after being a full time teaching for 7 years.

As I am on UPS1, I have been told by two agencies that they will not match my pay as it will be between £100-£120- is this correct for daily? If not, what should it be roughly/what can I ask for?

For long term supply, I am assuming it should be UP1/195?

I will be going to see two agencies in the next week, so would be great if anyone has anymore tips.

Does anyone recommend any agencies who have schools in the West London area/Brent/Harrow?

Many thanks in advance!

2. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

Your agency rate seems to be about what folks get for day to day. Forget 195 until you have done 12 weeks in one place.

blazer, agathamorse, pepper5 and 2 others like this.
  3. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Agencies pay as little as they can get away with. So if they can get away with £100-120 (or £70-80) then that's what they'll do. Unfortunately you'll never be certain what the school is charged for your services. For a better overview of supply pay in your region, go find your staff room and ask the only occupants (they're supply teachers) what they are paid. Then work out how you can haggle upwards using that figure as a benchmark.

I'm doing nicely at £195 a day in west Yorkshire, long-term, secondary Maths/Science but this is because I'm one of the few half-decent teachers who can stand the bottom-end schools. @Jolly_Roger15 (who seems very similar to me in age and skill set) is earning precisely nothing in North London, You need to get that overview of pay and you can't trust agencies. Can you ask your Cover Organiser/HR what the agency is paid for your current school's supply?

Finally don't fall for the 12-week trap (when agencies are meant to 'pay to scale'). Schools can sack you in week 12 and agencies can be very creative with the meaning of 'pay to scale'. If you're good enough in Week 12 then you're good enough in Week 2. I'll allow week 1 is proving yourself, seeing if we fit...…. other clichés are available. but keep pushing for a proper wage from Week 2 onwards.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  4. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Forgot to answer the question.

I hardly do daily cover but I seem to get around £140-150 for it when I do. Then again I'm hardly rung up about it and these two facts are almost certainly connected.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  5. greeneyes

greeneyes Occasional commenter

I’ve only gotten UPS once. Most agencies claim schools won’t pay it unless you take on extra responsibilities.

Also the 12 week rule is one schools seem to like as it’s a way of getting you in for cheap to test out what you’re like. I’m on my fourth long term supply post and I’ve always worked for 12 weeks on £125 a day.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. Mermaid7

Mermaid7 Occasional commenter

I was UPS3 and have never been paid more than £145 a day (haven’t gone over 12 weeks in one place on supply, though.)

agathamorse likes this.
  7. HS65

HS65 Occasional commenter

I started daily supply in September on the standard £110 - £120 rates, and a couple of days a week long term on £150.

I'm currently on two long term placements, the one just mentioned is now at M6 rate after the 12th week (that was a struggle getting in all honesty) ..... the newer one is on UPS3 (as I'm supposed to be moving to permanent in about 16 weeks).

I've renegotiated my daily rates to £130 - £135 as i needed to do a couple of days, although the agencies weren't keen.

I've done OK in all of the placements which has given me a little bargaining power.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  8. thewritingsupply

thewritingsupply Occasional commenter

For day to day work, even though I am listed as an unqualified teacher due to not holding QTS (PGCE in FE), I get between £120-£140 daily, depending on agency.