1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dads afternoon

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cb52, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Any ideas>? Seemed such a great idea in September and now ........ would love to hear from anyone whoes run anything similar? Thanks!

2. up!!! Please

3. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I'm not sure what you're asking for.
    Is it an afternoon for dads to come in and work with their children in lessons (in which case, what do the children whose dads aren't in do)? Or do something different with their children? Or to get children to spend an afternoon pretending to be their dad? Or spend an afternoon making something for Fathers' Day?

4. comenius

comenius New commenter

Could you get the children and Dad's to make something together linked to your topic? We do something similar and have parent afternoons - they've made a pirate puppet together, followed instructions to build a large cardboard box castle and are coming into school in a couple of weeks to create 'Wonderland on a plate'!!! Those children who's parents don't come work with the TA or join a friend and their parent.
    We also have englisha nd maths afternoons where we put out different activities and the parents come in and work alongside their child.

5. Could they sing a couple of songs or recite poems as a class for all the dads/ grandads/ uncles etc?

6. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

D&T challenge / making something? Dads at my school seem to have a lot to do with the 'making' homework and are always keen on that side of things.

7. ShadowMan

ShadowMan New commenter

I am SO glad we don't do this.

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Sounds great and something I wish we did in my school. But no way on earth would I want to organise it!

9. Sounds like a minefield to me. Surely there must be a sizeable number of children without a dad willing/able to make it in (if that is the idea)?

10. There is a child in my class without a Dad. He would find such a day distressing.
    Also, why does it need to be just the Dad?

11. It doesn't have to be just the Dad and we always invite anyone who can make it.
    BUT, it does make me sad that we're so PC nowadays that schools don't recognise certain days because it might upset certain children. Yes we need to be aware of children who don't have dads and children who have tough upbringings but equally we need to remember the children who want to make a father's day card and who would love their dad to come into school and see what they get up to.
    Fathers Day is happening - there are adverts on TV and radio and the shops are full of posters advertising it so to ignore it as a school is a little odd, in my opinion.

12. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I don't see it as being any more of a minefield than any other event that gets parents in. Concerts and productions, class assemblies etc.
    Quite. To not acknowledge Fathers' Day because it might upset certain children is a little silly and over-protective.

13. natbar

natbar New commenter

Hi
    At the school that I used to work at we held a dad's morning, the kids came in with a significant male (Dad, Grandad, Uncle, step dad, big brother (Over 18) or family friend) very few didn't come with someone and we were in an inner city school with very high number of broken families. The school provided breakfast for both the children and men, they then designed a super-hero together as part of a week long super hero topic.
    It was lovely to see so many men in school working with their children, because it can be a man-free zone in some schools. The morning was designed to promote the role of Fathers in their child's education and to encourage them into school. The event was a fantastic sucess and my little boy still talks about it now 4 years on.
    The children that came with no significant male worked with a friend and their 'Dad' . I would say the D&T would be the way to go. Hope this helps :)

14. netmum

netmum New commenter

At my children's school they have all manner of these special days.
    Nursery and Year 4 have mums day
    Reception and Year 2 have grandparents day
    Year 1 & Year 3 have Dads day
    There are some children who can;t have anyone there including my children occasionally but they are paired up for the activity with another child/parent and they seem to enjoy it.
    (I had to blinking bangra dance with my daughter who does dance lessons - talk about out of breath!)

15. Many thanks for your positive responses and great ideas too-will let you know how it goes!!!!

16. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Father's day is as important as Mother's day. Dads do a very hard job (as do Mums) and make sacrifices as well. There are some children who don't know their dads and those who don't see their dads much. But many children are very close to their dads and this should be acknowledged by Father's day.

17. I like the idea, but agree with someone else's post that the child should be able to bring in any male... grandfather, uncle, step-dad, big brother etc. I think having 'just Dad's' could cause some issues. Maybe I'm slightly biased, as I know if I had been a pupil at a primary school holding this day I would have NOBODY to take... and I would have been upset. Some children won't have anyone, but working with another child and parent seems to be a good solution :)