1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dad wins high court term-time holiday case

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Godmeister, May 13, 2016.

1. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

It wasn't the reference to Spain but that you picked a cheap family beach resort as if that sort of holiday had no value - a mere "jolly".

On a wider note, the debate on this also seems to be class/money based. If you can afford take your kids to Florence and tour the Uffizi in between sunbathing, that's fine, but Benidorm, Malia and Disney - oh no!

It also assumes everyone gets to choose their holiday time. At least teachers have 12 weeks of set holidays to choose from. Some workers have four weeks, much of which is bound up in bank holidays and trading patterns and the rest often handed out by seniority or first come first served. A week in Benidorm in term time might be the only chance a kid gets to spend time with her parents when they're not exhausted from work and have a real energy, time and enthusiasm.

2. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

His wife's actions. The actions of his wife.

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Godmeister, whu are you argueimg with yourself? No-one on here has advocated having to work extra to make up

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I thought it was plural?

5. palmtree100

This is what he wrote, blazer. I'm guessing it should be wife's actions as he is referring to one ex wife only and the apostrophe is for possession, i.e the actions of the wife.

6. palmtree100

Love a bit of grammar on a Saturday morning. Better get on with the cleaning now.

7. SteveWoodhouse

SteveWoodhouse Occasional commenter

In my experience...

I've had committed students who have taken a week or two off towards the end of Year 10. They've still done as well at GCSE as other, similar students who didn't. The time off didn't not adversely impact on their education.

Alldone likes this.
  8. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

I was just wondering whether some parents might ask for their money (fine) back on the basis that their son/daughter has 90% attendance and is doing well at school.

9. loodle1

loodle1 Occasional commenter

I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few appeals.

10. Alldone

Alldone Senior commenter

Agree that family hols can be enriching - but, some of our school trips were pretty much life changing, for both pupils and teachers. One example was building a school in Africa - from scratch, digging foundations, clearing the ground. Exhausting but rewarding work. This trip left school a week or so before the end of term. In the evening pupils did school work - they had Mocks when they got back, so were revising in the evening.

My school also had a relaxed attitude for teachers CPD as well. A few years ago I had a 4 day residential Science course in London. Paid for by the school

11. Godmeister

Godmeister Occasional commenter

Oops just noticed that typo haha!

12. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

The school I currently work in runs anumber of trips duting the year( skiing, art history in Italy,Paris to name a few) but they always take place in school holidays. The govenors never sanction trips in term time. At one time we did take A level geography and biology students on a field course in early July and they completed A2 coursework but when the style of course work changed a few years back we were refusd permission

Godmeister likes this.
  13. Godmeister

Godmeister Occasional commenter

Hehe I wasn't arguing with myself earlier I was just correcting some misconceptions about my posts as some people thought I was against the idea of family holidays which I haven't ever said.

Nor have I said anyone here has advocated working extra to make up lost time.

14. Coolgiraffe

Coolgiraffe Occasional commenter

What do I do now then... My children are in a different LEA and have different holidays to me as a teacher?

15. redlamp2

redlamp2 Occasional commenter

We had that and it's a pain. There were still enough weeks that coincided for us to book holidays together.

The arguments about school trips are valid and let's be honest they're less about the 'educational experience' and more about the snob factor of appeasing pushy parents because their friend Martha's son is at St. Bart's and they have an annual ski trip every year.

16. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Interestingly in my former school the MFL Department and the PE Faculty used to 'combine' to take students skiing . From memory the trip took place in school time and overlapped into half term . I recall one year they went to Italy although our children studied either French or Spanish. It invooved the same ' clique ' every year - no one outside it was encouraged or asked to participate.

redlamp2 and emerald52 like this.
  17. knowsnowt

knowsnowt New commenter

Having holidays during Term time did not harm my own education or results when I was at school. I never felt like I missed much nor did I feel behind after returning.

I think an approach looking at a specified attendance is the most sensible option.

hammie likes this.
  18. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

If people can 'only' get time off in term-time, what about teachers whose partners work outside education?

Can teachers take time off when they like, as long as they have 90% records?

And hey, let's get in unqualified staff to cover lessons.

It's not as if it's important to have qualified teachers when you can get cheap cover supervisors, is it?

19. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

This is really a statistics exercise in improving attendance data. Much easier to ban holidays than to tackle frequent casual absences. (Such as my mother keeping me off school to help with new baby, or genuinely couldn't afford bus fare...as a teacher I think these absences are more worrying).

I wouldn't mind quite so much if my son's secondary school didn't do things like a day's shopping trip to Westfield for the House Group with most points...

Also, it undermines the role of a parent. Not saying all parents are great but we do have the ultimate responsibility for our child's upbringing.

20. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Haven't read all of the replies. My view has always been though that the state should limit it's involvement in people's lives where possible.

If a pupil is falling into persistent absence, and for me this should be below 90% in a calendar year, then I think there is scope for a school refusing holiday requests and fining parents if they don't improve things. On the other hand I think it is counter productive to start moralising and saying you can do this, you can't do that. People should be able to take responsibility for their own actions.

On a similar vein though parents have to take total responsibility for any negative consequences of their actions as well. It is up to them to sort out any losses in the pupils education. Teachers are workers who will work to the best of their abilities within their job. They are not martyrs.