1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

D1 Bin packing

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by parabola, Feb 6, 2011.

1. I used to have a set of data for the first-fit algorithm so that when you removed an item from the list and applied the algorithm again it packed in to more bins than before. Has anyone else come across something similar or actually have data for this - I've mislaid mine.
    I tried a search on the internet but couldn't find anything. I'm hoping someone on here can help. Otherwise I'll just have to work out another list (I remember it took me quite a while last time!)
    Thanks in advance
    Para

2. I used to have a set of data for the first-fit algorithm so that when you removed an item from the list and applied the algorithm again it packed in to more bins than before. Has anyone else come across something similar or actually have data for this - I've mislaid mine.
    I tried a search on the internet but couldn't find anything. I'm hoping someone on here can help. Otherwise I'll just have to work out another list (I remember it took me quite a while last time!)
    Thanks in advance
    Para

3. GoldMaths

GoldMaths New commenter

There is an example in the text book.

4. primenumbers

primenumbers New commenter

There is an example on mymaths as well :)

5. Thanks. Which text book do you have?

6. My school have not registered with mymaths, although from what I've read on here it might be time to ask them to....

7. DM

DM New commenter

It's not all THAT good. No more than an average resource. It represents reasonable value for money though.

8. MyMaths can be an excellent resource. However as a tutor, my students who use it all struggle with the need to answer the questions without using paper and pencil to check their work. (I'm sure MyMaths would encourage scratch work but my students just don't do this.) Also it isn't subtle enough to sort out the mistakes a child makes, for instance between arithmetic and topic mistakes. (Or at least the topics I've seen aren't!) My students get very disheartened with lots of red marks, and they are not impressed when these only improve to amber, probably explains why they need a tutor in the first place.