1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

D&T training food and textiles

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by Natalie77, Feb 6, 2011.

1. hi, in september i am doing an Access to Higher Education Diploma in the view of becoming a food tech and textiles tech teacher in secondary school.
    Firstly, is it correct i have to study 2/4 D&T subjects? Or can i do just one?
    Secondly, after the access course what degrees would be best for textiles and food tech? Also would my access course give me enough credits to go straight onto the degree or would it be best to do a lesser course than progress to the degree? If so which ones?
    Any information would be greatly appriciated.
    Thanks Natalie

2. hi, in september i am doing an Access to Higher Education Diploma in the view of becoming a food tech and textiles tech teacher in secondary school.
    Firstly, is it correct i have to study 2/4 D&T subjects? Or can i do just one?
    Secondly, after the access course what degrees would be best for textiles and food tech? Also would my access course give me enough credits to go straight onto the degree or would it be best to do a lesser course than progress to the degree? If so which ones?
    Any information would be greatly appriciated.
    Thanks Natalie

3. Hi Natalie,

I don't know if this helps but I have just completed a degree in Graphic Design and have applied to to the Design and Technology PGCE. The only experience I have in Textiles and Food Tech is what I have gained on a placement with a Secondary school. I have been advised that these would be suitable for me to teach as I will be put on a subject enhancement course. Graphic Design would then be another subject I could teach if it were a subject at the school in question. So I dont think you would have to study 2/4 subjects.

Good Luck :)

4. Hi Natalie,

I'm on the GTP (trainee employed by school rather than PGCE which is uni based) at the moment for D&T.
    I was advised you need to be able to teach at least 2 D&T subjects. Lucky for me my degree is in Graphic Design and my industry background is catering so my choices were clear. Although from experience in schools the more subjects you can teach at KS3 the better, this also depends which subjests come under D&T, my current school Art is part of D&T. My previous school Health and Social Care. Remember you are only teaching the very basic's. I soon picked up Electronics, Woodwork, Textiles in a couple of lessons I was supporting in. The more you can do the less bored your likely to get!!
    As for which degree to go for I would say the one you will enjoy the most! Get some experience working in a school in the D&T department and see which you suits you best.
    Good Luck Natalie, is damn hard work and I feel like quitting on a weekly basis, but I've got this far not giving up now!!

5. Thanks for all the infomation it has helped lots