1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

D&T Textiles results AQA

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by janeboo1998, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Hi all, first GCSE year at a new school, and obviously also a new spec, and I'm very disappointed with my results, just wondering how everyone else got on? My class was very mixed to say the least, ranging from A* to U (no surprises with those two), but most of the others seem to be a grade below what I expected. It's not always the exam as I thought it would be with this class, but the coursework grade boundaries seem very high. I was thrown a bit by the large amount of marks given to development, but still... Any thoughts to cheer me up?!

2. Hi all, first GCSE year at a new school, and obviously also a new spec, and I'm very disappointed with my results, just wondering how everyone else got on? My class was very mixed to say the least, ranging from A* to U (no surprises with those two), but most of the others seem to be a grade below what I expected. It's not always the exam as I thought it would be with this class, but the coursework grade boundaries seem very high. I was thrown a bit by the large amount of marks given to development, but still... Any thoughts to cheer me up?!

3. Hi,
    I had my GCSE Graphics results today and I too felt shocked and really dissapointed by the grades- all the good kids, predicted to attain A/B with coursework achieving a B, all recieved D in their final result. I was gutted this morning, and felt as if i had done something to let them down, but what you have to remember, which is easy to forget, is that its a 'give and take' game. You can only do so much, but they have to take the reins at some point and actually revise/learn/complete on their own.
    Next year I will be in the same stage as you- my current year 10's will be year 11s completing their Textiles coursework, and like you, this is my first year at teaching Textiles following the AQA spec. I have taught ks3 Textiles for 5 years, but never given the opportunity to teach it at GCSE until the beginning of last year, and its so daunting, esp when you have no pre-prepared resources or info.

First thing is first- you are in a new school, with a new spec to follow. (new kids, new order, new problems, new oportunities) secondly its still the holidays, so enjoy them while you still have them. Our working life will arrive so quickly and it'll be all go, so take it easy, and remember, you did your best, you tried your hand at something new, and teaching is ALWAYS a learning curve. You'll be even better next year.
    x

4. Hello Kittens, thank you for your kind thoughts :) It's so upsetting I know when you do so much and then they go off and forget all about it and mess up the exam! I tried a different approach this year and did the bulk of my theory work in the 3 months leading up to the exam, knowing that the majority of my kids would do no revision.

Sorry I think I was unclear: I have been teaching this for 7 years, but previously in 'middle class' areas with high achieving students, so I knew there would be a big difference this year as I'm in a really deprived area with very little parental support. I have put on loads of extra lunchtime and after school sessions, compulsory to some students, and some of the exam grades have pleasantly surprised me. I did a mock with them and it wasn't bad.

It's when I look at the coursework, which I knew mostly wasn't great, and the marks I gave have been moderated and agreed with very little change; but apart from the A* they all seem to be a grade lower than I estimated. Not helped by there being no guideline grade boundaries available for this year. Did you not have this problem with your Graphics grade boundaries? Or has the mark scheme not changed for Graphics? Textiles has gone more like A level with more holistic marks, which I welcomed at first but now beginning to wonder!

And don't worry about your GCSE Textiles, if you've been doing Graphics you'll have got the hang of it! There are some good resources on here for GCSE, try the 'Info_booklet_for_students_GCSE_Textiles' there's a homework book to go with it with revision questions, really good and covers everything pretty well.

Good luck!
    x