1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

D & T - Moving Pictures

Discussion in 'Primary' started by louisea, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Anybody done this before? Any tips or ideas other than using paper fasteners.

Sorry if this has been asked before.

2. Anybody done this before? Any tips or ideas other than using paper fasteners.

Sorry if this has been asked before.

3. We have done the split pin thing too but also pop-ups, t-slides, springs, flaps etc.

Fortunately our DT co-ord is excellent and has broken down the unit into lessons which gradually introduce skills and give a range of options for the children to choose from before they design and make their own moving Xmas card.

Always use a book with moving parts to demonstrate each different application. She has also produced big demo boards that show laminated examples.

4. Yep done this before! can use hole punch and thread string through for a pull along one, can use card with two slits in and a thinner piece of card with the moving object on to slide across when put through the two slits, the lever one where two strips of card join and attach one fixed pivot to the card and the other card strip moves and is attached to the moving object. Sorry if this sounds waffled but will explain in more detail if you need me to. Its great at this time of year to do spilt pins with santas arms and legs moving or draw a house on card, make a semi circle slot over the house and then santa on a card strip to fly over the house in his sleigh (think thats how I did it).

5. Ly7

Ly7

We did a selection starting with box fold pop up, then sliders which are fun to do we based these on nursery rhymes incy wincy, humpty dumpty, hickory dickory dock. We then did split pin moving figures to practise making holes and cutting shapes out finally they used the techniques they had learned to make a moving christmas card. The art attack mag sometimes has moving pictures to make with wheels and pivots. There is also a good technology video its on the channel 4 website it covers most of the Y 1 and 2 DT (see link) this gave me some good ideas.

http://www.4learningshop.co.uk/DetailsList.cfm?ID=156263&ShopRef=66&Prime=Yes&shopListRec=23906

6. Hi, I have read all the messages, but I am still a bit confused.

How do you make a moving picture with paper fasteners?

I want to make one which has something that pops up like out of a tree or a basket or over a wall....any ideas/tips please.
    I have spent all weekend trying to make one and it still does not work. I clearly doing something very wrong.

PLEASE HELP!

7. Also isn't a paper fastener just a split pin, because that's what I thought?

Also a little confused about the explanation about the card with two slits and with a thinner piece of card with the moving object on to slide across when put through the two slits ... i have tried this but not working.

What is a nice easy simple way as well for those children who would find thsi sort of thing hard?

This is for a group of FS/Y1 children.

Thanks.