1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

D&T in Aus

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by littlemissraw, Aug 22, 2011.

1. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I know a few Aussies use the site and that a few have downloaded resources of mine. As most of you know I've found it impossible to find another secondary teaching post so it looks like we'll be leaving for Aus in the next few months.How different are the aussie D&T subjects to the UK?
    If anyone has any tips they can share/aussie teaching websites like TES, and D&T oriented ones would be great too / what I should take to any possible interviews (do I need my NQT file?) / an idea of what to prepare whilst I have the time etc that would be great.
    Hopefully I'll manage to get a post over there and be able to keep uploading my resources for you all! x

2. littlemissraw

I know a few Aussies use the site and that a few have downloaded resources of mine. As most of you know I've found it impossible to find another secondary teaching post so it looks like we'll be leaving for Aus in the next few months.How different are the aussie D&T subjects to the UK?
    If anyone has any tips they can share/aussie teaching websites like TES, and D&T oriented ones would be great too / what I should take to any possible interviews (do I need my NQT file?) / an idea of what to prepare whilst I have the time etc that would be great.
    Hopefully I'll manage to get a post over there and be able to keep uploading my resources for you all! x

3. If my colleague is anything to go on it isn't that easy. She has been in "the system" for nearly two years so far with no sign of the work permit which would allow her to apply for posts. Consider international schools or British schools in other locations such as Brunei, Hong Kong, China, Middle East. These are advertised in TES and interviews typically take place around the New Year. Great lifestyle. Have been told its easier to get jobs in New Zealand than Aus and know of someone who went out a few years ago to explore the potential and was offered two jobs simply by walking into schools and showing a portfolio.
    Best of luck

4. littlemissraw

Thanks for the reply DTwizard but my OH has secured a job in Aus already so I'm following him [​IMG] will let you know how I get on though. Praying its not too hard to get SOME work even if I do have to give up on teaching... x

5. littlemissraw

Anyone? X

6. littlemissraw

No aussies at all?! [​IMG]