1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

D&T for EAL Pupils

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by sam.lyne, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Hi
    I have just been given a class of "New Start" children aged between 11-16. These pupils are new to England (previously from Slovakia) and have very little or no English skills at all and many have never been to school before.

I was hoping if anyone had any project ideas that i could teach them as i have them for 3 hours in a row all year, possibly very simple design and make projects for Primary or SEN that i could adjust to fit the need?

I have a small budget but lots of different machine and tools and a very good technician who is happy to help with pre-making things (if that nakes sense!)

any ideas would be grateful
    thanks

sam[​IMG]

2. Hi
    I have just been given a class of "New Start" children aged between 11-16. These pupils are new to England (previously from Slovakia) and have very little or no English skills at all and many have never been to school before.

I was hoping if anyone had any project ideas that i could teach them as i have them for 3 hours in a row all year, possibly very simple design and make projects for Primary or SEN that i could adjust to fit the need?

I have a small budget but lots of different machine and tools and a very good technician who is happy to help with pre-making things (if that nakes sense!)

any ideas would be grateful
    thanks

sam[​IMG]

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Not project ideas but what a wonderful opportunity to teach them some english.
    Get all equipment clearly labelled in English, try to get pictures of diagrams of ways you use things, again labelled in English. You might want to start with a simple health and safety unit, again lots of practical, pictures rather than words.
    You could start with making a simple lidded box and get them to decorate in a fashion they choose.

4. i have had exactly the same,5 pupils all non english and no schooling. i started with a simple felt book mark,that was decorated with sequins etc.then onto a simple maze game from wood,all pieces pre cut and then glued with a glue gun,pupils then decorated it. i then moved onto a wall hanging with a wooden frame,simple mitre joint. a cushion,paper/card models of dolls. finally they made jewellery in 2d design and then they were cut using the laser cutter. every lesson i did a demo,they were quick to copy and eager to learn.every lesson there was a spelling test(they loved these) and i focused on designing. the pupils loved the lessons,we listened to music and they were a joy really.

hope this helps