1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

D&T Assessment for Learning assignment.

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by anthonybabij, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Hello fellow teachers,
    I am currently working my way through a PGCE in D&T and into my second placement. I have assignment to complete on assessment in schools and have decided to write about ASL.
    Can anybody point me in the right direction as AFL is SO vast and I'm not to sure were to start...

Thank you.
    Anthony.

2. Hello fellow teachers,
    I am currently working my way through a PGCE in D&T and into my second placement. I have assignment to complete on assessment in schools and have decided to write about ASL.
    Can anybody point me in the right direction as AFL is SO vast and I'm not to sure were to start...

Thank you.
    Anthony.

3. SDL

SDL

Hello,
    I am by no means an expert but to try and help you.
    AFL can be a bit of a grey area sometimes. Dylan Wiliam was one of the first people to highlight the need for Assessment for Learning in schools with his booklet 'thinking outside of the box'. Frankly, anything produced by Dylan is extremely useful and very interesting. He has a website
    http://www.dylanwiliam.net/
    You may want to start by asking what AFL is, why it's used and the benefits of using it compared tonot using it. Again, refer to Dylan's work and examples. You could try experimenting using two classes, use AFL with one and not the other and note the outcomes. There are many ways to incorporate AFL in a lesson, too many to list here, a google search will be quick and helful on techniques to use. The key is to involve the students as much as possible in assessing their own and others work against set criteria.
    I'm sure others will provide alternaives you could try, hope this helps
    You could also describe the difference between formative and summative assessments and how they assist in improving pupil performance.

billinziemalcolm likes this.
  4. SDL

SDL

Apologies.....the booklet is called 'Inside the Black Box'.....oops[​IMG]

5. SDL

SDL

6. billinziemalcolm

billinziemalcolm New commenter

Very useful, thanks