1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

D.I.R.T. in Music

Discussion in 'Music' started by nick drake, Mar 14, 2016.

1. nick drake

nick drake New commenter

Just wondering how people incorporate DIRT into their music SOW, when so much feedback is verbal in this subject.

I'm in the mood for a good overhaul, but am not sure how to get the most out of this in lesson time, as I've been really trying to get students engaged in more practical-based tasks, and the thought of giving them written work may very well bomb. Does anyone have any examples that they don't mind sharing?

A lot of what I've found online is geared towards subjects that have more of a body of written for for students to appraise alongside in their books... How do other Music teachers get students to write about performance work that might have 'disappeared' after the performance/assessment?

2. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

My apologies for showing my ignorance, but what is D.I.R.T.?

3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

• Directed/dedicated
    • Improvement/Independent
    • Reflection
    • Time

a.k.a. The Latest Fad

4. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

a.k.a. The Latest Fad

:)

Ah!

5. nick drake

nick drake New commenter

But does anyone have any experience of using it in Music lessons?

6. robmusicman

robmusicman New commenter

I'm not sure how relative it is, but before I get my lot to work in groups on a particular project, I have them all fill in a planning sheet for their group, so they have a clear plan of who is doing what etc. Once they have completed their practical work, they all fill in an evaluation sheet, where they are encouraged to think critically about their work. From this I get them to set themselves specific targets for their next practical task.

In my dept, we haven't specifically referrenced D.I.R.T, but we have been trying to ensure that all written feedback is formative, however we don't really have something that 'closes' the feedback loop.

7. Red wine fan

Red wine fan New commenter

Something we are now doing at KS3 is giving verbal feedback at the end of a recording of practical work whilst the recorder is still on. Then we save the dated recordings in a shared area and encourage the students to access them. We make recordings early, in the middle and at the end of practical projects so they and we can track their progress. They respond to the feedback in their music diary for the week (reflect on the lesson) and use it to write their target for the next lesson. It is working really well with year 8 doing Blues as they are listening back and starting to be quite adventurous.

8. muso2

muso2 Established commenter Community helper

Have you watched the YouTube clip of 'Austin's butterfly' as staff training on dirt? I sat cringing through it, but also thinking that music teachers do this all the time anyway. Modelling great work and pitfalls practically and encouraging reflection and target-setting comes naturally in music, and demonstrating that this is happening in music (and in an observation) shouldn't be a problem.
    Creating written records of it is a different kettle of fish, and not one I'm prepared to spend lots of lesson time doing to tick a box. I'd argue the case for music needing to be practical and reflection being verbal...
    And in 'Austin's butterfly' there is no writing!

9. Montague78

Montague78 New commenter

We have started using DIRT tasks for listening work. As I mark a listening task there tends to be common errors coming up so I set 3 - 4 different DIRT tasks based on this (mixing up dynamic and tempo words or topic keywords etc) plus a short extension task for those that did everything well. to save time, I put the DIRT tasks on the lessons PPT and just write on the pupils work which DIRT task to complete.
    The pupils then complete this at the beginning of the next lesson. I usually follow it up with another, similar, listening task at some point to make sure the corrections have been embedded. Alternatively, I've highlighted incorrect vocab or sentences that could be developed and revisited those as DIRT tasks.
    I was worried about written work taking over but it doesn't take long (5 - 10 mins) and has improved the quality of the pupils listening work.

10. stclawson

stclawson New commenter

At the start of each lesson (once their onto the compositional / performance aspect) they are given 5 minutes to reflect on their progress last week and create a target for what they need to achieve/ improve in this lesson. I do the same at the end where they reflect on what they've done and how well they've achieved their target and come up with what needs to happen next lesson. After their performances they are given a WWW (What Went Well and an EBI (Even Better If) and they must add an MRI (my Response Is) that outlines how they will use that feedback in their next project. This is not overly cumbersome and is hugely useful and still enables the lesson to be 90% practical which is my goal. Seems to keep my SLT happy anyway.