1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

D&T lessons linked to Olympics Year 1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Lara mfl 05, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

What about designing a medal and then making one from fabic? (Design and Making elements and covering the textiles element so often forgotten.)

2. We're designing and making a healthy meal fit for an athlete (pasta salad type thing.)

3. bevevans22

bevevans22 Administrator

What about making an Olympic torch? Or building a stadium in small groups :)

4. Thank you for all these ideas , it is down on my long term plan to do something involving textiles, this medal idea is fantastic!!!!! Thank you to everyone that gave their suggustions these are all fab ideas!

5. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

I was going to suggest the medal and olympic torch as well, I did both with my Year 2 class.

6. Mine really enjoyed designing their own Olympics kit - but we only did this on paper.
    We also designed Olympic logos - that's something they could potentially make out of material/felt etc.

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I was in Much Wenlock the other day, home of one of the mascots, and they obviously had a great many bits and bobs displayed in the village for the olympics. They had a torch made from bubble wrap that had been painted gold...looked fabulous and I'm going to get some of my class to do that.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belair-On-Display-Projects-Inspired/dp/000745564X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339097655&sr=8-1

Dead cheap book above with amazingly brilliant ideas for art and DT, with maths, science and literacy links as well.

8. thank you x