1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cyst removal

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by lilachardy, Jan 5, 2012.

1. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Where is it?

What sort is it?

I had one removed from my scalp...

2. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

It's on my back, it did have quite a lot of pus in it but this has now been drained (ick! Really smelled!)
    I bet the scalp one was uncomfortable x

3. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

...and mine was a breast lump. I wouldn't say it hurt particularly - "discomfort" would be more accurate.

4. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

No, it didn't hurt at all. Didn't feel a thing... removing the stitches was painful though!

5. What sort of cyst is it?

I had what I thought was a sebaceous cyst on my chest since I was born (but the plastic surgeon said that he thought it was probably a dermoid cyst) and it got bigger every year until it was half the size of my 'bosom'. The NHS wouldn't do it, so I got it done privately in September. Because of its size, the surgeon advised me to go under general anaesthetic for the surgery. I was nervous about this because I've heard all sorts of horror stories about the effects of it but it was all fine. It was like having a normal but slightly restless night's sleep and when I woke up the thing was gone. Even now, I keep staring at my collar bone in disbelief and the best way to describe the pain as it was healing was like having a paper cut on the knuckle and accidently getting salt on it (e.g. when eating crisps) if I moved the wrong way (it didn't hurt at all when I first came round because the surgeon had kindly injected the area with local anaesthetic. Later on, all I needed was a normal paracetamol tablet and that was it! I've had a lot worst pain than that, especially at 'certain times' LOL!). That was all! Now, I'm amazed that I didn't get rid of it before! So far, the scar seems to be healing well too (I was warned about the area being the worst place to get a keloid scar, especially as I'm a redhead).

If it had been smaller, he would have just injected it with some local anaesthetic and removed it in the same way that you'd get a mole removed (not that I've ever had such a procedure but I'm told by those who have that it didn't hurt much at all-a bit itchy afterwards but that's it).

HTH and good luck with your procedure and healing!