1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cyclists - nice people to know?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

2. yfel_endwerce

yfel_endwerce Established commenter

Some are. Some aren't
    Much like the rest of humanity

sabrinakat likes this.
  3. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Spoilsport :D

4. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I try to be a decent cyclist. Near where I live, there is a part that is simply too dangerous to cycle on the road (no cycle path, either) and I cycle on the pavement, walking across at lights. I do apologise to pedestrians and say that the road is too scary (many times getting off the bike to walk around them, but not always....). Of course, my bike looks like it's out of a 1950s Agatha Christie - purple with a bell and basket....

When I was pregnant, crossing the road near the maternity hospital in Dublin was scary. Cyclists routinely broke lights and screamed at people to get out of the way. One afternoon, at 8 months pregnant crossinf, a cyclist screamed for the fat girl to move, and I threw my umbrella at the idiot, just missing with a round of applause from passersby. I told him he should be proud of himself almost hitting a heavily pregnant woman and to keep moving, the crowd was on MY side. Growl. (The police later put a thing on the street (like a steel net on the surface) with ramps to stop cyclists.

Too many jerks cycle and those of us who try to be decent are tarred with the same brush....

5. gooddays

gooddays Senior commenter

Hope they catch blonde pony-tail window smasher guy. No excuse for his actions.

This is a new rule where I live:

When passing a cyclist, drivers of motor vehicles are required to maintain a minimum distance of one metre, where practical between their vehicle and the cyclist. Failure to do so may result in a fine in the range of $60 to $500 and an additional two demerit points on the driver’s record. Whenever possible, you should change lanes to pass.

6. ElenaMukhina

ElenaMukhina Occasional commenter

The Highway code suggests leaving as much room as is possible - my instructor asked me to imagine the cyclist falls over - that was the distance to give

[​IMG]

Link

7. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Best done by driving on the wrong side of the road, as the same link illustrates:

[​IMG]

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I like cycling - I always have. I am however sick to death as a motorist of encountering cyclists who insist on riding two abreast along narrow country lanes. I don't care what perverse logic tells them it's safer - it's a disaster waiting to happen, and it's them who will come off worst. My other bugbear as one who works in a rural location is cycling clubs who ride along narrow lanes like it's the Tour de France and don't split up into well-spaced groups to allow cars to overtake them in steps. That's just plain ignorance.

As a cyclist I'm fed up with pedestrians who walk in clearly-marked cycle lanes that have been purpose built alongside the regular footpath. We don't yet 'get' cycle lanes in this country do we? Try that in The Netherlands and you'll soon learn the Dutch word for **** before a big battered black bike sends you flying.

9. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

I thought it was Scotland where they battered everything?

magic surf bus likes this.
  10. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Nice alliteration though, msb!

11. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

The problem with doing as the Highway Code dictates, and I would certainly aim to do that, is that the build up of traffic at the rear, ensures that some Jack (or Jill) the lad, is going to risk it very thing by overtaking both you and the cyclist.

FolkFan likes this.
  12. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

You should live in Waltham Forest where the combination of a cycle fanatic Dep Leader of the council ,plus a grant fro the TfL has seen cycle paths springing up all over the borough.Suppossed be new called little Amsterdam.The result is roads have now been squeezed in size which means one vehicle stops to off load and the who road network grinds to a stop.....combined to the bus stops now being put out towards the centre of the road means more delays.
    The best it most of the cyclist ignore the cycle lanes and ride in the road as its easier to dodge in and out of traffic that way as the lanes delay them,I would say 70% of all cyclists i watch ignore red lights and still dodge up the inside of lorries, but to over take can be scary as some insist on riding with no hands and making phone calls with their mobiles..although we suspect these are the drug mules talking to the next customer as they suddenly vear across the road and shoot off in a new direction....plus if in the road they cant be easily chased by the police who are delayed by the traffic.
    Most of the cyclist are not lyrca folks........those are a different kettle of fish and meeting those on the lanes and roads mean they usually speed past .I was doing 30 in a 30 area the other day when a group went past and disappeared......I'm stuck in traffic and they went weaving in and out.
    It has to be said not all are bad...but certainly they do seem to think they have morale superiority over other road users..

13. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Do t@ssers ride bikes? -YES

Are people who ride bikes t@ssers? -NO

14. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

All there needs to be said on t'matter.

15. Rhoswen77

Rhoswen77 Established commenter

Getting a distinct feeling of déjà vu here.
    But anyway, I generally dislike them. They bunch up in a Lycra posse on one particular, small country road nearby and we have been reduced to driving at crawler-speed behind them. A cycle track runs alongside. They - of course - don't use it.
    In towns/cities, they cycle across when the pedestrian crossing is at green and when it's at red they move with the traffic. Have seen this so often.
    It's as if no rules apply to them because they are such a special case.
    Grrr

16. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Remember, they're saving the Planet.

magic surf bus likes this.
  17. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

They're not the first to do that in skintight Lycra.

[​IMG]

racroesus likes this.
  18. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

i wish they'd stop riding on the pavement (not a cycle path) and expecting me to get out of their way.

FolkFan likes this.
  19. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Rather than ride on the roads I feel safer on my exercise bike. :D

bombaysapphire likes this.
  20. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I agree with pretty much all that's been said. There are good and bad cyclists, just as there are good and bad drivers. The fundamental difference is that drivers have a licence to lose, whereas cyclists don't. I can see no reason why the law shouldn't be changed to allow poor behaviour on the roads by anyone to be punishable by exclusion, nor can I see any good reason why cycles should not require registration and insurance.

xena-warrior likes this.