1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cyclists and pavements

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, May 3, 2019.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Simple question: are they permitted on pavements?

Walking in town and a guy cycling towards us.. phone in hand doing something... And yeah he nearly hit us... i had a strong urge to push him off his bike. But i didn't. I've always thought bikes were supposed to be on the road but more and more seem to be on pavements ... what's the legal situation?

2. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Senior commenter

Dunno but once I saw the police tell a cyclist to get off the pavement and onto the road so, to answer your question, probably not.

3. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I found this.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cyclinguk.org/article/whats-legal-and-whats-not-your-bike?amp

Scroll down a bit but it seems that pavements aren't mentioned because of tracks/ bridle paths where you can cycle but no car can go. You can't cycle furiously or dangerously. You are supposed to use the road if there is one but there seems to be leeway for children and nervous cyclists.

Clear as mud and I've had a brandy so you might want to re-read it.

4. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

They're not.

Section 62 of the Highway Code for cyclists covers the use of cycle tracks, which can be used to make a journey safer. Cycle tracks are usually located away from the road, but are sometimes found alongside footpaths and pavements. Sometimes cycle tracks will have a separate path for pedestrians, however this is not always the case.

If you are using a segregated path, it is important to make sure you stay on the right side of the track to avoid colliding with pedestrians. Be on high alert in case pedestrians pass into your lane without realising.

If you are sharing a path, take extra care and give plenty of room to children, the elderly and disabled people. You should always be riding at a speed that would allow you to slow down and stop if necessary.

Section 64 -
    Something that confuses many cyclists is whether or not they are allowed to cycle on the pavement. According to Laws HA 1835 section 72 & RSA 1984, section 129, cyclists must not cycle on the pavement.

Children under the age of 10 are below the age of criminal responsibility so even though it's illegal to do so, they cannot be held accountable for riding on the pavement. For those aged 10 and over, the law is clear: it's illegal, except where there is a marked cycle track.

5. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

An article in yesterday's news was about a man who had his £9,000 cycle stolen, but by reading the entire Internet, found that a shop in Poland had it up for sale.

Whilst I have to admire the effort he went to in order to recover his bicycle, I can't help but wonder if he's the full ticket in paying that much for a bike in the first place.

I don't think it's a simple matter to comprehend the thought processes of people who ought to be wearing straight jackets, rather than risking everyone elses' lives as they attempt to disprove that care in the community was less than an abject failure.

6. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

No. No. No No. no

7. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

down here most don't use cycle paths. The road or pavements are preferred/

8. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I had a day today in which even the supervisory staff at Primary school were horrified at the appealing selfish parking on the zigzags on the already double parked.
    But then. Double parking. Not deadly yet. But. COULDABIN.

9. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

It's a competition bike.

10. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

That makes it even worse. He paid good money to enter a competion to win a bike they told him was worth nine grand? There's a mug born every minute ain't there?

Oscillatingass and Jamvic like this.
  11. LondonCanary

I had assumed English was your first language.

aypi likes this.
  12. nizebaby

nizebaby Lead commenter

Cutting off pedestrians at broad corners is somethimg that merits a kick to the back wheel.

13. nizebaby

nizebaby Lead commenter

Except that it happens too quickly and, if you call after them, you tend to get a heap of testosterone-fuelled abuse.

14. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

We are all encouraged to leave our cars at home and use a cycle not only to save fuel and our planet. but also to reduce the chronic diseases we now suffer.

Using a bicycle is to be applauded not criticised. Until we have cycle paths and/or cycle lanes on all our busy dangerous roads everyone has to use the paths sometimes and we must learn to be tolerant of each other.

Cars take no heed of cyclists and we take our lives in our hands every time we venture out. I would not dream of not using my bike to travel most places but I would never trust a car and go on the path frequently for fear of being cut up.

May I remind drivers also that cyclists are allowed to use all of the road the reason being a dangerous ploy called 'car dooring' which is when a driver parks and fails to look behind so opening their car door straight onto an oncoming cyclist who is knocked into the road...

Sustrans is doing their best to open cycle routes as fast as they can but cycling on the path is often the only way to travel particularly when with children...

Do we want our children to be piled into cars every time they venture out? I can assure you its quite bad enough walking on the path with a child as the cars zoom heedlessly past as we cling desperately on to their slippery hands...They barely have a chance to cycle anywhere its so dangerous...I am not talking about 'pleasure' cycling here but day to day stuff.

Just remember this next time you see a cyclist on the path - they may be on their way to work having left the car at home. Glance at the surrounding road scenario...where are the crossings, how fast is the traffic going. how much space is there for bikes at the side of the traffic, what happens at traffic lights - is there a special bike section at the front?

The way forward is to use bikes. Just remember Rome wasn't built in a day and look further than the ends of your noses.

Finally - testosterone?

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  15. nizebaby

nizebaby Lead commenter

Do you know what it's like to be elderly and suddenly to face some lout cycling towards you at speed on a pavement?

Cyclists are generally fine but there are some damned rude and selfish ones. We pedestrians are the lowest of the low at times

16. LondonCanary

Sometimes you need to ride in the primary position to stop it happening.

17. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Cyclists become like the worst kinds of motorists when they mingle with pedestrians, they are a frequently illegal menace hiding behind a pretense of doing everyone a favour.

Broom handles at strategic locations to chuck between the spokes should do the trick.

18. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Isn't it the same as in all aspects of life? Most people are considerate of others; a few aren't, and make others' lives a misery. Why criticise the majority because of a few?

Many pavements now are shared cycle / pedestrian paths, with no segregation. Cycling on these, which is legal, is, in essence, no different from cycling on a pavement which isn't a shared zone. Yes, it isn't strictly legal, and there are no signs, but in most cases there's no reason why they shouldn't be, and more and more are being changed to shared paths.

I do cycle on roads most of the time, but am often worried - not by motorists, but by potholes. A pothole can damage a car, but can kill a cyclist. And swerving to avoid often puts you in the path of a car, which is even more dangerous. So sometimes I use the pavement because the road conditions are too bad.

Cyclists cycling courteously on a pavement are no more dangerous than mobility scooters, and probably less dangerous than people with their head stuck in their phones.

yodaami2, ShowerGel and eljefeb90 like this.
  19. nizebaby

nizebaby Lead commenter

That doesn't alter the fact that we pedestrians are vulnerable to rogue cyclists, and there are too many of them. I am not responsible for the stupidity of phone zombies, and, when are roads are dangerous because of potholes, cycists should get off and walk or take an alternative route.

Mangleworzle and Aquamarina1234 like this.
  20. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

From this example, which many of us recognise, you could just as well have called the thread "phone users"because the distraction of phones from a basic essential awareness of who is around you" is surely a far wider reaching problem than cyclists on pavements per se.
    There are ways of cycling on pavements which are safe, considerate, and non threatening to others, but there are few ways of transporting yourself from A to B with similar public consideration whilst using your phone.
    You can see phone distraction (let's just call it public negligence) in pedestrians, cyclists, car drivers, lorry drivers, maybe pilots do it but I'm not special enough to confirm that, so addressing phone use in itself would make a far wider reaching difference than, say, de-legitimising cycling on pavements.

I have to say when in town as a pedestrian going down a street, I have had far more near misses with people exiting shops on foot whilst simultaneously using their phone than I have had with cyclists.

chelsea2 likes this.