1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

CV wording... 'encouraging staff to leave'

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by 9thIsland, May 6, 2011.

1. I'm after input as to how to word a cv.
    I've been in post as a deputy head for 15 months. New school with generally good staff but with a few shockers.
    Managed to remove all 4. One was sacked, the other three left after a 'philosophies don't align' conversation.
    Basically I removed all 4. We now have a superb staff with great camaraderie and professionalism.

I'm starting to look elsewhere for jobs -my work here is done!- and I'd like some ideas as to how to word things.
    I don't want to sound destabilizing or gung ho but by the same token I want to ensure that the success is conveyed.

All suggestions welcome.

2. I spy a troll and claim my reward.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Get in the queue.

4. Actually the bloke seems pretty genuine to me. Typical middle manager. Turn up; talk crepe; sack a few people; generate a load of paperwork/initiatives; fill in impressive jargon on CV; leave for bigger salary.

He will go far.

5. 15 months in the job; gets rid of a number of staff. Seemingly without too much effort to support judging by the timescales and considers himself "redundant". Deleting staff appears to be main achievement. Worrying!

6. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

Agree Blackdog and the worst thing is that, through talking the talk in an interview somewhere, he could be catapulting himself onto any school in the country that has similar leaders and is impressed by that sort of thing. End result of an appointment like this in my experience is the best staff jump as they can see through people like this straight away.

7. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

More worrying is that this person sounds JUST like the colleague who school after school push up just to get THEM out.... Hence such people end up inflicting themselves on others as managers. Reminds me of someone..... um.... moustache, hard core morals, indifferent to senstivities of others.... name began with a 'H' I think.....

8. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Godwin's law!

9. "The whole educational and professional training system is a very elaborate filter, which weeds out people who are too independent, and who think for themselves, and who don't know how to be submissive, and so on - because they're dysfunctional to the institutions." NOAM CHOMSKY
    Perhaps you could try putting 'bully' on your CV?

10. May2

May2 Established commenter

Well I just found this thread and thought it could have been my Deputy talking until I saw how old the thread was. I think there are real people like this in schools.

11. keepthespirit

keepthespirit New commenter

Perhaps he has become the type of head complained about in other posts. Certainly see little hope for him as a leader.

12. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

Like some evil Mary Poppins...

13. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Lots of nonsense on this thread. Simple question needing simple answer:
    "I am very keen to support teachers needing to improve, but I am not afraid to make difficult decisions when necessary."
    Please don't quote verbatim as I use this phrase in my cover letters.

14. keepthespirit

Previous post seems superficial. The important thing is making the right decision ( however that is defined ) Many decisions are difficult and the answers can be as well : there are sometimes equally valid alternatives. You may think previous posts are nonsense,however a sweeping discourteous comment reflects badly on the person making it.

15. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

As I say, lot of nonsense being thrown around by trolls and fools.
    Stick to the point.

16. keepthespirit

Seeing wider issues is a valid part of a forum. Referring to people as trolls and fools is rude and unacceptable behaviour.