1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

CV vs application form

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by goldenbough, Jan 19, 2012.

1. I was just wondering if anyone could help me.
    I am currently doing a PGCE and have found a a job that I would really like that requires a September start. Unlike other jobs I have seen advertised, there is not a link to the application form on the school's website, but under where the job is advertised on the TES, there is a link which you can click which takes you to a page where you can upload your CV (optional) and then email the employer.
    This is the first time I have applied for a job, so please forgive me if I am being stupid, but is this page instead of the application form, and should the email to the employer in effect be my covering letter, or should I request an application form?

Thank you.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

OK, this is VERY unusual.
    Some 4 or 5 years ago, the (then) govt said basically that maintained schools in England and Wales should not ask for CVs.
    So . . .
    Is this a job in an independent school?
    Is this a job in Scotland?
    Is this an agency trying to get you to sign up, so that they can forward your details to the school and claim a Finder's Fee?
    Or is this the TES HireWire application system?
    Get back to me on this and we'll take this further!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

3. Hi Theo,

Thanks so much for such a quick reply! It's an independent (private) school. Does this make a difference? Should I just email the Headmaster's PA requesting more information? The job advert does state that you can do this, but I wouldn't want to make myself look stupid by asking for an application form and being told to just upload my CV and send an email, which is what the link on the TES website takes me to. The fact that the uploading of the CV is optional is strange. Surely there must be an application form???

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Come on, come on, a bit of lateral thinking here!
    You could always e-mail from another e-mail address . . . and if she then returns an application form, e-mail from your own professional e-mail address to ask for one too.
    But if she e-mails back: Just do as you are told, silly, she will never know that it was you . . .
    You do have a proper, professional e-mail address for applications, don't you? One that actually has your name in it? Not any of these daft things you choose when you're 13 . . .
    And make sure that you read all the advice here:
    Dear Theo I need help!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

5. Haha good idea! There is also a telephone number for the PA, do you think it would be better to phone?

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Put on a Scots accent.
    Unless you can't because you already have one, in which case put on a Brummie accent.
    If you phone, you'll have to give a name . . . and you'll hate giving a false one. I'd stick with a nice, polite, anonymous e-mail.
    Best wishes

7. haha unfortunately my accents aren't very good so I took your advice and emailed instead. I have now managed to obtain an application form, on which there is a section for employment history. Should I include my training placements on these (even though they are not real employment), or just write down the jobs I had when at uni/school?
    Sorry for all the questions!

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, as you have no real teaching employment. So at this stage in your career it is OK. But ditch this once you start applying for your second job.
    Don't go into great detail. "A series of part-time temporary posts in retail and catering during my studies" will cover Tesco and McDonald's. They won't want blow-by-blow accounts with dates for piddling little jobs!
    Don't forget to read this advice:
    Dear Theo I need help!
    Best wishes

9. Thanks, Theo :). I PROMISE this will be my last question! the application form has space for a DFES number...what is this? The only number I have been given is my Teacher Reference Number.

10. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Just in case Theo doesn't re-open a thread he's already replied to
    Your TES Ref No. is usually the same as your DFES number. (DFES doesn't exist anymore anyway they've reverted to DfE, so it's an old form. )

11. Just a heads up. ALL the jobs I've been applying for which I found on the TES have a 'click here to apply button' which, as you say, takes you to a place to upload a CV and write up to 5000 words. HOWEVER, within the job advert itself it does mention that each school has their own application form, and to go to either the school website , or contact someone at the school for an application pack.

It is probably worth checking the school website to see if they do actually have an application pack which you need to fill out. Otherwise, as already suggested, contact the school and ask. Better to be safe than sorry.

(I don't know why all the adverts have a click her to apply button too, if this is not actually what the schools wants (i.e. they all have their own application forms.)) Must be something to do with the updated website.)