1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

CV format

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by minnie me, Sep 19, 2015.

1. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Just been asked to submit one for possible consultancy work . I have one which needs up dating but struggle with 'career history ' as I have been around for a while - ha ! So any pointers / advice as how to address this would be most gratefully received.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo Minnie!

[​IMG]

I suggest that you google "Teaching cv" and then reject any of the examples that (a) are not from UK and (b) start with a stupid Mission Statement along the lines of A fast-moving dedicated career professional who believes in ... Or in fact any sort of stupid summary at the top. Those examples will give you some ideas about the lay-out.

[​IMG]

For your career history, start by checking your dates. Put your career history in reverse chronological order, most recent first I mean by that.

For the entry for each post, have the dates and job title and employer at the top, and underneath a brief summary of any responsibilities and achievements. But do NOT give the responsibilities of being a class or subject teacher, or even a HoD - everyone knows what these are.

You should have more about your most recent post(s) or those specifically relevant for the post you are applying for, and just a one-liner about those in the distant past.

(Jan2009 - Jun 2015) Member of College Leadership Team

. I ensured that the College's academic provision conformed to the College’s Strategic Plan and Mission, and worked with the Principal to secure the efficient and effective use of resources.

Reporting to the Asst. Principal. Responsible for: accommodation, exams, timetables, registers for 5,000 students

(Sep 2000 - Aug 2005) Department of 12 FT and 9 PT staff. A*-C passes in Maths GCSE rose by 36% during this period.

(Sep 1996 - Aug 2000)

Blueboys Grammar School - Teacher of Maths (Sep 1992 - Aug 1996)

Hope this helps!

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Sorry about the weird formatting . . .

4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Thanks for the speedy reply Theo. I have been working freelance for the last 4 years - a lot of university work, INSET and writing....I have drafted something along the lines of a personal profile and key professional experiences and grouped the career history under the provider ( uni ) and LAs for which I worked. It made sense to me . I suppose I just wanted to keep it as streamlined as possible. Thanks again

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Just make sure that it's full (don't leave anything out by accident) and honest (don't leave anything out on purpose, nor mis-represent anything).

Not that i think that you would, but I do have to make the point!

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Just to wish you 'Good Luck' with it minnieme!