1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

CV and letters for future jobs

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by helen8297, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Hi everyone,

Just wondered if anyone has ever sent their CV and a covering letter to schools in the hope that they keep it on record for future TA jobs?

If so, what sort of things did you write in the letter? Was it a success?
    I'll be applying for a primary pgce in September, so also wanted to know if it would be advisable for me to put this in the letter or not?

Hope you can help,

Hlene

2. I haven't done it, but I have worked with 2 people who got their jobs in exactly the way you describe.

3. Ooh that sounds promising then!

4. I would also appreciate your advice on how to phrase covering letters for (secondary) TA posts. What attributes should one emphasise/highlight?

5. Hi Helen,
    I know someone who got a Special Needs Assistant role this way which then led to a TA role in the same school-she then went on to successfully train as a teacher. SNA jobs in primary are often short term or temporary and therefore you are more likely to be taken on as a short term measure. I would definitely mention that you are hoping to do a PGCE in your covering letter.
    Mention any experience you have working with children whether paid or voluntary. Do you have any particular skills or interests that you could bring to the role e.g. play an instrument, speak a foreign language, have a coaching qualification? Could you run an after school club? Do you have any relevant qualifications?
    Mainly just show you are passionate about working with children and helping them to achieve.
    Best of luck