1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

CV and covering letter for career change

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by LB213, Dec 29, 2018.

1. LB213

LB213 New commenter

Hi,

After 6 years in teaching, I decided to change career path. I currently work on a self-employed basis and my work mostly comes through word of mouth. I am now seeking more permanent employment and need to compose a covering letter and CV that highlight my skills and how these can be transferred to another field.

Has anyone been in a similar position or have any tips?

Thanks in advance!

2. janerain72

janerain72 New commenter

I'm in a similar position. If you look on this thread:
    "Desperate to leave. Has anyone changed careers and left teaching" in careers clinic,
    there are some helpful links to documents on the first page of replies.

3. NinjaCurtain

NinjaCurtain New commenter

I tried to post a reply the other day but it didn’t appear. Try a skills based functional CV. Google it, there are loads of examples. I made mine a few weeks ago, put my skills into 4 categories and picked the three best examples for each (3 categories is what they recommend but I have a previous career I need to highlight). I found I have done so much as a teacher I had too many skills and examples to choose from!

agathamorse and janerain72 like this.
  4. janerain72

janerain72 New commenter

Thanks @NinjaCurtain I'm going to do this too.

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

The standard thing to do when applying for a job is look at the personal requirements and the job description and make sure that your CV and letter cover all the important parts. This can mean revising your CV for different jobs, even if they appear to be very similar. If possible, I would advise getting somebody else to look through things before you send anything off. I have helped a number of people looking for work like this.

agathamorse likes this.