1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cv advice...

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by sazad99, May 26, 2017.

1. sazad99

sazad99 New commenter

Hi everyone. I am currently doing lots of research as I intend to teach in ME 2018. I noticed that having a good CV can be key. But should I include my photograph in the CV? I have seen a number of agencies recommended it... But I don't want to come across as desperate. Also any other CV advice will be appreciated

Thanks in advance

2. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Yes, it's recommended. Forget UK norms, it's fairly standard in international schools. A small, professional head and shoulders shot. No holiday snaps - wear something that would be appropriate for parent conference day. Smile!

3. Fer888

Fer888 Occasional commenter

Yes like gulfgolf says it is pretty standard. I would advise you to save it as a pdf and to be careful with presentation. I have loads of cvs recently that are all over the place and look as if they took 5 minutes to write. Needless to say they were rejected immediately.

4. sazad99

sazad99 New commenter

OK brilliant. Thanks guys

5. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

For the last 17 years I have used a one page CV, Landscape, with my picture prominently positioned in the top left hand corner. I have found that I can get all of the salient information into this format and it has never failed to get me interviews, which is the main point. If you send me a PM with your email I can send you a copy in case you would like to use the format.
    Holidays, rushing to meet me.......

Perce

6. lifeinthe852

lifeinthe852 New commenter

Percy would you mind sending it to me too please? We are looking to move for August 2018 and so I want to get my CV ready for putting out later this year.
    Many thanks
    Binza

percy topliss likes this.
  7. percy topliss

No problem if you PM me your email address....

8. gulfgolf

That's more fun if you read it out of context.

9. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

I also used a one page CV, now pleasingly redundant. I recall Jennifer (Theo Griff) quoting the shortest and most effective CV in history. Sir Richard Whittington: Four times Lord Mayor of London.

10. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

Post a copy of it here and we'll give you our honest opinion.

rosiecg likes this.
  11. fmohamed1234

fmohamed1234 New commenter

there is an fb group called empowering expat teachers which gives loads of c.v advise

12. lifeinthe852

lifeinthe852 New commenter

Thank you Percy - I'm not sure how to do this as I am a new poster so don't know if I have access? Sorry!

13. percy topliss

Try to click on your icon, where it says binza87 at top right, see if it has a line where it says conversations, if so just type in Percytopliss and my name should pop up....

14. mrswallow

mrswallow Occasional commenter

I'm increasingly hearing/seeing people using an online only CV- normally a web-page with hyperlinks, photos etc. Has anyone had any experience of these? Any advice or ideas about them? Would they be acceptable or do you still need to post a document- either by email or physical hard copy?

15. gulfgolf

No one has yet tried that with me, and I hope they don't.
    I've received many links to various online documents, including amped-up versions of the basic paper/pdf CV, and I'm just fine with that. But with applications, there is a need to be able to see and use them offline. We print them out (only for short-list candidates), make notes, pass them around... If you use an online only version that will be hard to print, and/or look ridiculous when printed, it's not going to help you.
    And of course, if you register with an agency, or follow most school's explicit instructions for applying, they want pdf versions.

16. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I would keep your CV portrait orientation. I would find it very strange to receive a CV in landscape and I'm not quite sure how the layout would work. Your CV should flow well in a vertical fashion, and if things are clumsily stuck next to each other it could look odd.

Think about it this way, if a headteacher has 20 CVs to sift through, gets to yours and has to turn it around to read it, it will just seem a little odd.

Maybe I'm alone on this and it's fine, but I did Google 'Landscape CV' and the first link I arrived at was called 'The 7 deadly sins of resumes'

17. sazad99

sazad99 New commenter

The advantage of landscape is that all the relevant information can be nicely arranged on a single page (due to minimal marginal space) . I can't imagine how to keep a portrait cv to a single page....

Next question is obviously does it matter if it spills over a page or 2 and if so what'll be the limit???

18. heretaunga

heretaunga New commenter

Hello Peace, I would be grateful for a copy of your format for a CV.
    Thank you,
    Chris pullan.cd@yahoo.com

19. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

My CV is two pages. I've never had a problem with it so far although I haven't had as many jobs as most people on here so who knows.

I'd rather have a 2 page CV than things next to each other on a page. I mean, I can see it working in the creative industry but can't visualise it in the teaching world. Maybe I'm just too traditional though.

20. Stillstayingjohnson

Stillstayingjohnson Occasional commenter

What's wrong with 2 pages? Print double sided? Job done.

ejclibrarian likes this.