1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

CV Advice

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by dmcampbell, Nov 23, 2015.

1. dmcampbell

dmcampbell New commenter

Dear Theo,

I note from an previous thread that you advise against having a Profile or Personal Statement at the start of a CV. Can you please clarify why these are a bad idea?
    I'd also appreciate your advice on how long a CV ideally wants to be and does this depend on how long someone has been teaching. For example, would you expect a manager with 20 years experience to capture their career on two pages?
    Thanks in advance for your time and comments

2. splinters

splinters Established commenter

I know this is aimed at Theo but hardly any schools accept CV's nowadays. Even indies, who can, prefer to use a standard application.
    For the record though, i undwrstand your concern. I have over 22 years experience in education with industrial work as well, but I got it all down to 2 pages which is/was the recommendation.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I actually advise against having a CV at all, actually, except as a private one for your own use, to keep all your dates and job titles together in one place to enter on application forms.

Statutory guidance from DfE is that schools should not ask for, nor accept CVs. Indy schools, Free schools and Academies are not bound by this, but most of them do follow it. Overseas schools can do whatever they like, of course.

You mean something along the lines of: A high-aspiring, high-achieving individual with multiple skills which can add value to any school.?

Because (a) they are not factual nor proven, just fluff, and (b) they make you look daft to think that they would impress anybody.

If you are specifically asked for a CV (don't send one if not), then max 2 sides of normal sized font with good-sized margins all round.

Yes.

Unless, of course, you had moved schools 20 times in 20 years, then it might be a bit tricky!

The most recent version of my CV covers 39 years, and fits well on 2 sides with loads of white space. Things that happened more than 10 years ago are pretty irrelevant, so one-liners for those.

Sept 1990 - Aug 1995 Head of Department of English, Eton College, leading 7 FT and 1 PT staff

Non-teaching work can have 10 or more years condensed to one line if you are pushed for space. Yes, even in DT!

Dec 1988 - Aug 1995 Various posts in Engineering. Full dates and posts available on request.

Best wishes

splinters likes this.
  4. dmcampbell

dmcampbell New commenter

Hello again,
    Would your advice about personal profiles also apply to CVs that are aimed at recruitment agencies or speculative CVs for other employment sectors?
    Thanks,
    DC

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You mean the meaningless fluff at the beginning?

Yes.

Best wishes

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Like Theo, I've never had any trouble getting my experience and qualifications (I have worked in 6 schools and have 4 degrees, for example) on to two sides of A4 in a CV (I have had to provide one - since leaving teaching - for the consultancy work I'm contracted for).

7. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Re meaningless fluff -I do think that it is possible to résumé succinctly and be specific about your expertise in a personal profile without resorting to clichés. It takes some doing and has been demanded in my experience by some sources as part of their application process. For consideration for consultancy I have been asked to submit an up to date CV .