1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cutting non contact time as part of bundle of measures to make up funding shortfall ?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by reasonable, Feb 12, 2012.

1. I'm posting here to get some input. We ( a secondary school) have to find substantial sums to makeup for the loss of funding for next academic year. Clearly we don't want to make redundancies,cut budgets, increase class sizes, drop subjects etc etc but we have to find the money somewhere. Is it reasonable to reduce non contact time ( currently running at 14%) to say, 10 % as part of a range of measures to make ends meet? Another alternative is to cut the school day and reduce hours of teaching for students. Teachers may not want to see contact time reduced . Parents may not want kids education to be diminished and may have their own working responsibilities. Its a tough situation which many schools will face. Ideas ?Thanks

2. I'm posting here to get some input. We ( a secondary school) have to find substantial sums to makeup for the loss of funding for next academic year. Clearly we don't want to make redundancies,cut budgets, increase class sizes, drop subjects etc etc but we have to find the money somewhere. Is it reasonable to reduce non contact time ( currently running at 14%) to say, 10 % as part of a range of measures to make ends meet? Another alternative is to cut the school day and reduce hours of teaching for students. Teachers may not want to see contact time reduced . Parents may not want kids education to be diminished and may have their own working responsibilities. Its a tough situation which many schools will face. Ideas ?Thanks

3. They should make sure that all the students who should have statements get them to make sure there is funding. Make sure as many students as possible are on free schools meals to increase pupil premium and write to your mp. The government promised a head teacher friend of mine she wouldn't lose any more, she is having to find A LOT from her budget by cutting ICT.

4. The two schools I have worked in teachers only receive 10% PPA - if you have a responsibility then you have more.
    Our business manager reviewed costs a couple of years back & things like heating, water, phone were on the highest tariffshemade substantial savings in these areas.