1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cutting baby finger nails...

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by wormburger, Feb 4, 2011.

1. My LO is 5 months, so I really should have got this sorted by now. However, every time I think I've done a thorough job of cutting or filing her nails (I've even attempted biting them!!) she wakes up the following morning having managed to gouge a chunk out of her forehead. I seem to do them every other day. She is permenantly covered in scratches and it's really starting to get to me. It sounds ridiculous, but she always looks like she's been in the wars and I feel so responsible!
    Scratch mits are a no no as she sucks her thumb at night and I wouldn't want that to stop as it normally means she can send herself back to sleep. However, in her attempts to find her thumb in the night she scratches her face to bits.
    How does everyone else manage it? I'm hoping against hope that there's some magic tool out there that I haven't yet heard of!

2. My LO is 5 months, so I really should have got this sorted by now. However, every time I think I've done a thorough job of cutting or filing her nails (I've even attempted biting them!!) she wakes up the following morning having managed to gouge a chunk out of her forehead. I seem to do them every other day. She is permenantly covered in scratches and it's really starting to get to me. It sounds ridiculous, but she always looks like she's been in the wars and I feel so responsible!
    Scratch mits are a no no as she sucks her thumb at night and I wouldn't want that to stop as it normally means she can send herself back to sleep. However, in her attempts to find her thumb in the night she scratches her face to bits.
    How does everyone else manage it? I'm hoping against hope that there's some magic tool out there that I haven't yet heard of!

3. I bite LO's finger nails - but I agree they do grow very quickly. (tried cutting but had an awful experience and so won't be repeating that any time soon!) I hate to say it but I don't think there is a magic tool. sorry
    x

4. Hi wormburger
    I used baby scissors to begin with but found that they made the edges of the nails sharp (from having cut in a straight line) and her scratches were then sometimes worse so now use baby clippers which make more of a rounded cut. I usually cut her fingers post feed when she is drowsy and less fidgetdy; it can be a nightmare sometimes.
    I had a nasty scratch on my chest the other day from when she was patting/striking her hand whilst feeding and then she caught my chin the other day as I was bent over looking at her whilst feeding and she drew blood!!! Nice!
    I got the baby clippers from Lloyds Chemist btw - 99p I think.
    Good luck x

5. It's such a faff isn't it? I use baby clippers and round off edges with a baby nail file. Although he still looks like he's been wrapped up in barbed wire sometimes.

6. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

I try to do it when LO is asleep but agree it's really hard... clippers have been sitting on the coffee table for a week as I haven't managed to get round to it! The first time I cut too close and made a tiny cut in her finger :( I cried afterwards as I felt so awful to have hurt her. But it's hard when they fidget even in their sleep! She has tiny fingers too as she's still only 8lb3oz at 7 weeks.

7. I used to do to when LO was asleep although it took me ages to pluck up the courage the first time! Now she's 1 and I do them with her sitting on my lap watching CBeebies. Have a 30-year-old pair of baby nail scissors that used to be mine and do the job a squillion times better than the new ones I bought!

8. I file my baby's after cutting. She quite likes it now. I let her do it a bit and do mine etc, then we do hers. It works, if you can get them to sit still for long enough!

9. Clematis- I love the story of the heirloom clippers!
    We have exactly the same problem. My MIL is always making comments about the scratches but nothing works. I've tried biting, cutting and filing.
    I thought I'd done really well yesterday, I filed until there was barely any nail left. He woke up this morning with his worst scratch yet. There was actually a hole!
    Part of the problem is that he rubs his face as he settles himself. He also has a nasty patch of eczema on the his right temple and he always rubs and scratches at this which just makes it worse. Poor thing looks like he's had a fight with a cat.

10. handrail

handrail New commenter

I agree it's a nightmare! OH does them now - I'm too scared as I cut the end of his finger once by mistake and he screamed :eek:(
    Mine is the same Mrs D - I always point out that he's scratched himself now before she says anything.
    My LO always looks the most neglected at baby group - covered in scratches and red patches and flakey scalp - poor thing - he looks like a proper little rogue boy haha