1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cutting a 50 x 50 square on a CNC router (Boxford)

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by aypi, Mar 1, 2020.

1. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

My present method would be to draw a square that has 53 mm sides, set the line thickness to 6mm and cut it out.
    There must be a way to draw the square the actual size and get the tool to cut round it?
    Any pointers?

2. mmjkaejec

mmjkaejec New commenter

3. mmjkaejec

mmjkaejec New commenter

What are you cutting ? Are you using Mill design ?

4. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

Plastic for the latest project. Using the bundled 2d design I think it is called.

5. mmjkaejec

mmjkaejec New commenter

Which Boxford machine. Also Boxford have very good support. Look on their web site

6. Ex-teacher

Ex-teacher Occasional commenter

If you're using 2d design....

Use a thin black line to draw the shape the size you want, eg 50x50

Use the CONTOUR tool to draw a coloured line half the diameter of the tool on the outside of the black shape. ie, if your tool is 6mm diameter, set the contour to 3mm. Change the colour to anything but black. I cant remember where the contour tool is (retired 3 years ago!) but it's the one with two identical shapes one inside the other.

Set the machine to cut to the coloured line, not the black line.

At least, that's how I did it. Meant the kids could draw their shape first in black, then put the contours in place for the machine to cut to.

7. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

Ex teacher, that is a variation of what I was doing.
    I went through the boxford notes.
    From what I remember:
    1. Draw your shape the exact size.
    2. Fill it with colour.
    3. process it, but select something like "outside shape" for the colour it was filled with.

The tool should then cut out the shape.
    I have not tried it yet.

8. Ex-teacher

Ex-teacher Occasional commenter

We didnt have a boxford, so cant comment on how that works.

But our suregrave machine followed the coloured contour line line. Or it did if we set it up correctly!

9. henryrolls

henryrolls New commenter

Hi there, forgive the late reply, maybe you're still wondering how to do it.
    What you say here is correct but this is done in Mill Design, the even more basic version of 2d design bundled with the machine.
    Because it is so basic, we create the drawing in 2d Design and copy it over.
    Then it's (I think) File> To Mill where you get these options (as well as cutter depth). You don't have that option in 2d Design.