1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Customer Service

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Flere-Imsaho, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I thought consumer choice was supposed to drive up customer service but I can't think of anything major I've done in the last year that hasn't involved having to chase people, get stroppy with call centre staff who don't deserve it but won't do anything if you are nice, and even make complaints to regulatory bodies. Why can't people just do what they promise without having to be chivvied through it at every step?

I've run out of potential banks necause they have all let me down in some way. I can't buy a whole handful of electrical brands because they make shoddy products and then try to fob you off by making you choose between unrealistic prices for repairs and signing up for stupidly expensive extended warranty policies.

And don't start me on utilities companies who won't just give a you a price in writing...

cissy3, delnon and grumpydogwoman like this.
  2. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I feel your pain.

delnon and grumpydogwoman like this.
  3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Every company is cutting jobs. Every company is cutting corners.

It's all gone to hell.

There aren't enough people.

4. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

It's the same when you physically go into a hop these days, I find. Our local M&S is quite small and a bit randomly arranged. There are a couple of people at the pay desk, but never anyone to ask for help in looking for something.

We had a bar stool from John Lewis with a rubber strip round the base for protection. It split and fell off. Took it back to JL. No problem, we'll order another. Fine! A month later, no replacement. We go back, no record. No problem apparently. The girl will order and contact us on Monday. Well no, that didn't happen. More nagging!

5. Flere-Imsaho

That's the sort of thing I mean, foxtail. People start off very obliging and full of promises and then time passes and nothing has happened.

6. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Our neighbours want a lightwell put in their house. They've contacted so many companies and only one has responded. But then the one who responded hasn't got back to them with a price.

I find it hard to believe that no tradesmen are in need of work!

7. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

In a handcart or barrow.

8. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Neither, because no one will sell you one!

cissy3 likes this.
  9. Flere-Imsaho

No, sorry. The handcart and barrow are fully booked for a fortnight. I can book you in for the last week of March?

cissy3 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  10. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I'd like a quote first please.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  11. Flere-Imsaho

Certainly! We have several tariffs depending on your needs. Do you have thirty minutes so I can ask you some questions to decide which payment plan will be best for you?

cissy3 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  12. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Depends which part of the country you are...but might be a nice local polish man nearby.......the English builder is to busy to quote( not true in my case but then im old fashioned, growing old and the amount of red tape is amazing.)
    If I was younger i think I would always be busy with the amount of work going on around me.

13. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

Thank you for ticking that box. We have sold your contact details to anyone who'll buy them. You will now be hounded by junk mail and junk calls to the end of time.

14. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Oldy, our area is not short of Eastern European people, but I know they have tried to contact people all over the local area and further afield. Without success.

15. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Your call is important to us so we'll be with you when you've listened to Eine Kleine Nachtmusik till you wish someone had strangled Mozart at birth.

16. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Or Vivaldi

ValentinoRossi likes this.
  17. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Offering choice is a con, what businesses are really doing is trying to open new niches to avoid competing with the opposition, either that it's about letting 8 year olds decide which pile of sweet and fatty rubbish they are going to have for lunch unconstrained by parental instruction. It's not for the consumers benefit, it's for the business.

Tradesmen don't like small jobs, they all seem to pick the big ones and ignore the concept of customer service which I suppose they can if the big ones keep coming. We had an extension built a couple of years ago, new kitchen and remodelled upstairs with a new bathroom, boiler, water tanks. There is one bit left to do outside the back door where the concrete has cracked and sinking a bit in places, the builder was going to come back and finish it off, about £1,000 worth, he kept stringing me along and then I gave up on him in the end. There's a builder in the village who my wife knows, she's given up asking him if he'll come and do it.

18. Flere-Imsaho

They don't like big jobs either in my experience!

foxtail3 likes this.
  19. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

I am now into my 4th week without a washing machine (and the cost has doubled).

"It's 3 weeks to get the part".
    "Oh you need an additional part. We need to talk to the engineer. We'll ring you back."

(2 calls later because they didn't and by this time) "The part can't be ordered until Monday"
    (Monday) " Friday afternoon to fit it"
    (though to be fair I think they've moved someone else's appointment to make me a priority - might have been my tone of voice which did that)
    The total cost now as the 3 parts have been added is pretty close to a new machine!

Meanwhile....
    ...I have recently had dealings with a local council (on behalf of a friend) and NHS services both a bit off beam regarding information and requests etc but ...
    couldn't have been more helpful and efficient.

So how come it's public services which are demonised rather than the private sector

cissy3 and Flere-Imsaho like this.
  20. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

Public services don't pay large bribes - oops, sorry, wash my mouth out with soap - make substantial donations - to the Nasty Party.