1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Curves....

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JRTowner, Sep 9, 2011.

1. This is one for the ladies, I have considered joining the gym chain "Curves" however when I looked on line there were no prices. Hmmm... That's making me think they might be a tad expensive. However, I am willing to pay to join a gym where there aren't the men in the muscle vests admiring themselves in the mirror so I am still interested.

If anyone has any info on them I would be interested to hear what they have to say.

Thanks. JRT. x

2. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Went there years ago, found them an unholy, mercenary rip-off.

3. I pay £30 for curves, and went from a 16 to a 12 in about 4 months. An illness a couple of years ago meant I put on some of that (along with other reasons) but I have been making good progress again since I've been fit enough to get back into it again properly

4. I pay £30 for curves, and went from a 16 to a 12 in about 4 months. An illness a couple of years ago meant I put on some of that (along with other reasons) but I have been making good progress again since I've been fit enough to get back into it again properly

5. Aren't curves gyms the ones where you have to workout together in a circle?

6. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

I've never been but if I'm not wrong, they have a 30 minute circuit after which you have to leave. So it's good for those who are short of time. Obviously no good if you want swimming as part of your gym package, as I don't think they have pools. My mum tried it and didn't continue (no reflection on Curves, but she's a bit of a one minute wonder with new ventures!) and I'm sure she mentioned that there are no mirrors around, so you don't have to worry about looking like a sweaty betty.
    Like you, I couldn't find a definite price but I reckon it's £30 - £35 a month. I often pass one, and they usually have special deals posted outside so that probably explains the lack of definite prices online. You should also ask if they do a discount for teachers - worth a try!

7. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I went to a Curves gym for about 3 months. Waste of money. No, you don't have to leave though! They recommend you do 30 mins 3 times a week. I did 45 mins 5 times a week. I didn't feel it was pushing me enough so i joined a 'normal' gym and lost 2-3 dress sizes and over 3 stone.
    I think if you are a bit older and have never really exercised before, then it is more likely to work. Personally I didn't like it and i prefer more of a variety in a gym.

8. catherinaaa

catherinaaa New commenter

I joined a very similar chain to curves in Germany where I live called Mrs Sporty (!) and loved it. It was great for me and I lost about 10 kilos all told in a year and a half. I stopped my membership when I broke my ankle however, and now I am better, go to a boot camp for women 3 times a week which I love even more. I had never really exercised before joining Mrs Sporty and was a size 16-18 and went down to a 12, I am in my 20s.
    I think it is great and got me finally interested in sport, health and nutrition and was super for someone who really needed a confidence boost and a good introduction to exercising. They also ran things like "power circle" classes in the evening if you wanted a more intense workout. Go and have a look around and see if they offer a trial membership- I paid Eur 40 a month for membership but got my first 2 weeks for freewhile I decided if it was for me.