1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Curtain pole question

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lalad, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Lalad

Lalad Senior commenter

When you are putting up a curtain pole, is it necessary to have one of those wooden strips that goes across the top of the window (sorry, I don't know the technical term for this!) to secure it to, or can you fix it directly to the wall?

2. Lalad

Lalad Senior commenter

When you are putting up a curtain pole, is it necessary to have one of those wooden strips that goes across the top of the window (sorry, I don't know the technical term for this!) to secure it to, or can you fix it directly to the wall?

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Mine are all attached directly to the wall ( but then I'm shXt at DIY)

4. When we moved into our house every window had one of those wooden slat things with a curtain pole mounted upon it - bloody ugly! As we have gone round redecorating we got rid of them and just fixed the curtain poles to the wall. In a couple of rooms we have had to be creative with the use of matchsticks/expanding foam filler/plaster/no more nails but no-one would notice.

5. Haven't got a wooden slat up anywhere.
    Haven't ever had a wooden slat up anywhere.
    Do have curtains, though. Bloke who put them up broke his drill bit the first time because the outside walls really are that thick. I don't think there's one wall that doesn't have plastic plugs for the screws, though, so clearly something was needed, but it wasn't a great big ugly piece of wood.

6. Rented house - ugly bits of wood. I'd remove them if I could, the cottage really doesn't deserve such dross!

7. No , you don't need the wooden slat but be careful when trying to drill above a window as there is usually a metal lintel which will take some serious drilling.

8. Lalad

Lalad Senior commenter

Thanks for the advice. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I wouldn't have a clue how to drill anything, let alone do "serious drilling", so I will probably get someone in to do it! We haven't been in the house that long, and some of the windows have the wooden thing but others don't.

9. Better to pay to get it done right, than have lop-sided curtains! (Which is what I'd have ended up with if I hadn't got someone else to do it). If you have other diy-type jobs, get a handyman in to do them all in one go - more cost effective.

10. If it's a plastic one, you will need a pelmet (wooden thingy), as the plastic will be likely to sag. If it's wooden, you won't but you will need long rawl plugs and to drill deep to keep it up. To keep it level get one of those infra-red spirit level thingies.

11. Depends on the house constuction. Bricks and mortar or wood window frame, can fix directly to wall. Timber framed house or partion wall, forget it. You would need special hollow wall fixings.