1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cursive writing in reception

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Shaz13, Aug 6, 2009.

1. We are looking into starting this in September. Anyone else do this? How do you find it? What scheme do you use? Some of the ones we've looked at seem quite archaic.
    Thanks for your help
    Shaz

2. Anyone?

3. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

I have worked in 2 schools where children were taught fully cursive writing from reception. I was amazed at the impact it had on their writing by year 2. It makes sense - they are only being taught one way to form each letter ... and OK, it's a bit of a mess at first ... but it does seem (in my limited experience) to work.

4. Thank you. Do you know what scheme they used?

5. We have the kids in our school writing in cursive from Nursery age. Its so much better starting when they're young because when they move up they find it so much easier to join there letters together. It can be a massive struggle at first but when they've got the hang of it they really fly! We use jolly phonics and just add on the lead in and lead out lines. Also all their name cards etc are in cursive so at first we just get them to trace over their name. Practising letters in sand, paint, corn flour etc is great too, it helps them with the flow of the letters!
    You can get loads of cursive things on **********!
    Hope this helps!

6. Thank you. Unfortunately I'm in Warwickshire so I'm not allowed to use ********** stuff. Do you know of any actual schemes that teach cursive for the early years? They use Pen Pals at the moment in KS1 but it doesnt start off as cursive, so doesn't really help. I'm going to ask a really stupid question now - why do you need lead in as well as lead out strokes? Doesn't the lead out stroke from one letter become the lead in stroke to the next letter anyway? (Told you it was a stupid question!)

7. We've just decided to revert to Nelson rather than the continuous cursive we were following as it was felt the handwriting was not becoming automatic enough and some children were being handicapped by the style when they had ideas they could express.
    I have successfully used a precursive script ---Hand for spelling and had good results with joining.

8. Thanks - I'll look that up.

9. Yeah it does technically if you're joining up your letters but initially chd are taught the letters individually!! If you write the letters on their own its easier to write them with a lead in.
    Thats rubbish that you can't use **********. There a programme called Handwriting for Windows, thats what we use to convert all our things into cursive. Apart from that i don't know of any schemes, i'm going into school next week i'll have an ask around and see what i can find out.

10. Leapyearbaby64

I found Nelson a real mish-mash. I don't know if the fully cursive we have is a particular style, but ever letter has a lead in and lead out. Communication 4 all also has stuff in cursive.

11. Leapyearbaby64

Sorry, every letter. And they do start joining up right from the start. Writing as they learn their sounds using Jolly Phonics.

12. Why can't you use **********? Are your unions aware of this? This seems ridiculous.

13. Some local authorities, Warwickshire being one of them, have an issue which I believe concerns CP. That's why we were told we couldn't use the products in school. There have been other topics on this before on here but I don't know if anything was ever resolved - we still aren't allowed to use it though

14. ********** products, I mean. Sorry that wasn't very clear!

15. I always used cursive style from the beginning in YR and found it very successful. One thing that makes it easier is that every letter starts on the line, even tall ones as they have the lead in first. You need to use lined paper, which I always think helps young children anyway.
    Not sure why you need a scheme? You need to decide as a school how you will form all the letters. Some schools leave the tails hanging down while others curl them up and continue to join all the letters. f , z and x are tricky ones and you need to decide how you want to write these. Then make up your list and send a copy home so parents can form the letters in the same way.
    I always started with the letters in their name but when they were ready taught the letters in formation groups. ie. c a g d o q together. Then sticks r n m h b etc. You need to transfer any words you want them to write to cursive style but don't worry about words they use for reading, in my experience they have never become confused by the different styles.

16. You're right I probably dont need a scheme - I just thought there might be a standard cursive style that everyone was advised to use, and didn't want to be using anything different. If not though, what are the relative merits of the various styles of f, s, x, z or is purely a choice?

17. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Our fully cursive style is pretty unique in that it is our DH's handwriting.
    Our children mainly have a problem with the z (rounded with a tail version)

18. I hope your DH has nice handwriting - wouldn't want to use mine as an example for anyone!!

19. Msz

Msz Established commenter

20. Thanks this is really useful. She does have very nice handwriting!