1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cursive letter formation jingles

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by tambie, Jan 17, 2009.

1. We have just changed to cursive handwriting at school and I have been told to try it in reception with the entry strokes but not joined. I thought jingles to describe the formation for each letter would help. Does anyone have any or know where I can find some?

Many thanks

tamgambie@hotmail.com

2. Anyone?

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I have always used the Sue Palmer letter formation jingles but was recently introduced to the Martyn Long version (much simpler) which we plan to use throughout the school. By adding a "whoosh" to the beginning (starting from the line and whooshing to the starting point) these work for cursive writing.

4. Thank you for your reply - I was going to use Sue Palmer and then school introduced cursive! Who is Martyn Long and where can I get hold of his version?

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Martyn Long is an Ed Psych and author
    He recommends children saying the jingle as they form the letters so it becomes automatic
    anticlockwise movements develop from "c"

c ~ whoosh - round
    o ~ whoosh - round, round and join
    a ~ whoosh - round, up, down and off
    d ~ whoosh - round, up, up, down down and off
    e ~ whoosh ~ across and round

I'll find the full list and get back to you

6. Can these be found on the internet? Sounds really good![​IMG]

7. Where can I find the Martyn Long cursive letter formation jingles?

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

I don't know any jingles but most letters [eg a to c] go up the hill, a few [eg o to w] go across the bridge and a very small number [eg r to e] go down the slide.