1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Curry banquet!

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by mistyid, Mar 5, 2011.

1. I would love your favourite recipes for my curry night if possible. I am making a lamb and squash curry, a Hugh Fearnly-Whittingstall recipe which we love.
    But I have never been happy with the chicken curry I make.
    What I am looking for is a medium chicken curry that is made with spices and not a curry powder or a paste. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Also if anyone could share recipes for side dishes that would be fantastic.
    Thanks

2. I would love your favourite recipes for my curry night if possible. I am making a lamb and squash curry, a Hugh Fearnly-Whittingstall recipe which we love.
    But I have never been happy with the chicken curry I make.
    What I am looking for is a medium chicken curry that is made with spices and not a curry powder or a paste. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Also if anyone could share recipes for side dishes that would be fantastic.
    Thanks

3. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Mmmm...curry night...
    I defer, of course, to Si N Tiffick who is the resident expert on all things curry, but here's a recipe for a very good chicken curry, vaguely Punjabi or North Indian I think, and to my knowledge, quite authentic.
    It works best with skinless chicken thighs, I think. The other suggestion I'd make (apologies if this is sucking eggs territory), but if you're having a proper night of it, it's a good idea to refresh all of your spices if they're looking a bit old or stale. Freshly bought spices can make a world of difference!
    Anyway, North Indian Chicken Curry - serves 4 with accompaniments, can be easily scaled up.
    Spices:
    7 or 8 cloves
    a stick of cinnamon
    6 or 7 green cardamom pods
    a tsp or so of ground turmeric
    a tsp or so of ground chilli powder
    2 tbsps or so ground coriander
    a tbsp or so of garam masala

Others:
    Vegetable oil
    4 or 5 ordinary tomatoes, pureed in the food processor
    a couple of onions, chopped
    A lum of ginger, peeled and chopped
    9 or 10 cloves of garlic, minced or finely chopped
    8 chicken thighs, on the bone but skinned
    a pint or so of water
    fresh coriander

Heat a good few glugs of oil in a large pan. Add whole spices and fry until they release their aromas. Add onion and cook on a medium heat until golden brown. Add garlic and ginger and cook for a little longer. Add powdered spices except for garam masala and salt well. Cook for a minute or so longer. Add tomatoes and cook over a moderate heat until quite dry and oil has begun to separate (10-20 minutes. This stage is quite important and shouldn't be rushed, as it will be this that gives the depth of flavour).
    Add chicken and brown in the masala for about 5 minutes. Add enough water to almost cover and bring to the boil. Cover and cook on a moderate simmer for 35-40 minutes. Then remove cover and cook for another 15-20 minutes until chicken is tender and sauce is sufficiently reduced. If it dries a little too much, add a bit more water. Season and add garam masala and fresh coriander just before serving.

I'm sure Si will tell me off for suggesting ready-ground spices and not making my own garam masala, but I'm also sure she can suggest a great recipe for garam masala as well!

4. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

I posted a heap of good curry recipes a while back but can't remember the thread title (it didn't start off curry related). Manashee- can you remember the thread title?

5. Si N. Tiffick

6. Si N. Tiffick

7. Si N. Tiffick

I'd like to, nick, but I have to be honest and admit I have no idea whatsoever what goes into my garam masala [​IMG], or my bottle masala (a peculiarly Goan concept- most of India only make up spice mixes as and when needed, bu tthe Goans have family recipes for bottle masala, which is basically a stock curry powder, very complex and individual to the family) since I get it sent over from India and the recipe is so secret I am not privvy to it! Maybe one day I will inherit the recipe...

8. anon468

anon468 New commenter

I can vouch for Si's curry recipies - the pork vindaloo is awesome!! I struggled a bit with the heat, but Mr manny lapped it up. He has an asbestos mouth. [​IMG]
    Sorry I didn't get back to you with feedback, Si, but thanks again for posting all those recipies. They are now safely copied, pasted and filed in my 'TES Recipies' folder. Yes, I actually have one filled with all the recipies I've uplifted from TES over the past 4 years. [​IMG]

9. Thanks everyone for your prompt and detailed replies. O/H is off shopping at the moment we were going to give the pork vindaloo ago but thought it might be a little hot. We are going to try nick's recipe.

Thanks again

10. Si N. Tiffick

LOL manashee- I did warn you it was ferociously hot! I tend to tone it down a bit if cooking for uninitiated (non asbestos!) mouths! Did you try the sauce with eggs?

11. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Ha, ha - even my ears were sweating! I had the full on runny nose, tears in my eyes the lot! Bloody Mr man just sat there cool as a cucumber, although he did remark - 'aye, it's got a bit of kick this'.
    I confess I didn't try adding eggs to the sauce, but I would definitely try this next time. Also loved the channa recipie - I'm mad for chickpeas (and lentils).

12. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Mr Egyptgirl is getting better with spicy food but I sometimes forget that he never really ate spicy food until he left home...before now I've put 3 bird's eye chillies and a couple of scotch bonnets in something, thinking that it had a nice subtle heat - he's come to eat it and had tears rolling down his face going "bloody hell love, are you trying to finish me off?". Oops!