1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Curriculum rebuild?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by mms1, May 6, 2019.

1. mms1

mms1 Occasional commenter

Hi all,

In light of the revised OFSTED framework (intent, implementation and impact!) and my feeling that our current curriculum is a a bit tired, I am looking to completely rebuild it.

The question is where to start and how radical can I be? I'm very much an advocate for experiential learning and would really like to create a curriculum that values a variety of skills whilst still meeting the statutory requirements.

Has anyone worked with a consultant they would recommend or used a template to guide the process? I am keen to shape something that moves away from the old formula.

A little guidance or advice would be greatly appreciated.

PS Having seen many threads taken over by passionate opinion, I would ask only those with experience of achieving a curriculum rebuild reply - Sorry just need some positive help at this stage.

2. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

Yes you can. Total revamp as long as you start with the national curriculum (unless you don't need to follow it).

Look at your current topics and work out which are exciting, which need revamping and which you want rid of then take a subject at a time, e.g. history. What does it look like throughout school from y1-6? How does each strand of the subject develop throughout school (e.g. use of primary sources)?
    As long as your teachers are clear as to what needs to be covered and how to differentiate, your curriculum will succeed but the key is to get this in place before rushing into it.

3. abacus1982

abacus1982 Occasional commenter

We will be looking at ours in staff meetings after half-term. I will be starting with following questions for discussions:

What do we want for our children?
    1) Every year
    2) Over 7 years
    What is the aim of our curriculum? What is the hope of our curriculum?
    What memorable moments will we provide every year?
    What is our key knowledge? (the what and the how)
    What does depth look like in our curriculum?

4. mms1

mms1 Occasional commenter

Thanks for the replies; these are both really useful and have certainly helped with my own thinking.:)

sooooexcited likes this.